PDA

View Full Version : Where to get NAPA brand part #765-1336 silicone

CBehr
12/22/2009, 10:56 AM
Looking to get some aquarium safe silicone locally this week to do a few baffles. Is this NAPA like the auto store NAPA? I did a google search but seem to only see aquarium threads and not a retailer. If I can't find this I'll probably just go with a GE 100% silicone tube.

der_wille_zur_macht
12/22/2009, 11:02 AM
There's a Grainger in Lancaster. They'll have GE RTV103 or RTV108 for around $9/tube.

tkeracer619
12/22/2009, 11:29 AM
GE will be fine. Use door and window not bath and tile.

coralnut99
12/22/2009, 11:44 AM
For baffles, there's no need to go to Graingers. The GE's fine. As advised, stick to the windows and doors variety without mildewcides. But definitely go to 1/4" glass.

CBehr
12/22/2009, 03:23 PM
Local place didn't have GE, they had DAP that says 100% silicone and is for windows and doors. I don't see anything about mold resistance or anything...so I think I'm ok.

I'm guessing this stuff just isn't as strong as the stuff at Granger?

coralnut99
12/22/2009, 03:32 PM
Don't know where you looked but any of the box stores and True Values carry GE silicones.

The RTV108 is just much stronger. But takes a littel more doing to get some, and costs a bit more. Baffles just don't warrant it. The glass thickness is much more important.

CBehr
12/22/2009, 04:09 PM
Just ran out to a true value near by and got the GE instead! Figured better safe than sorry.

uncleof6
12/22/2009, 09:48 PM
Other than the GE Silicone I containing petroleum distillates, and is specifically labeled "Not for use in Aquariums" -- the only silicone that is actually so labeled. GE Silicone II also contains petroleum distillates.

You do not need the strength of the RTV silicones, that is certain. But you do want to use a silicone that is for aquarium use. DAP Household sealant is so approved, and is available at Home Depot, Lowes. Silicone for use in aquariums should be labeled FDA approved for food contact. Nothing else is considered non toxic.

The warning on the label of GE Silicone I is not a liability thing, otherwise ALL silicone that Momentive produces would be so labeled. Yeah, GE does not make silicone anymore. Momentive makes it.

Jim