PDA

View Full Version : Magnum HOT For Water Polishing

Stuart60611
12/22/2009, 01:24 PM
I have a 125 with a 55 gallon sump/refugium. I used to run filter socks in the system, but they get clogged too often, particularly due to my carbon dosing, to be used practically. Meanwhile, my water has too much particulate for my liking. As such, I am searching for another means to polish my water on occassion. I came across the Marineland Magnum HOT canister filter which is rated for 55 gallons, but it comes with an option to use it strickly for water polishing by using a very fine micron filter. I thought its hang on the back approach would be convenient to use for occasional, perhaps, weekly water polishing. It states its flow rate is 250 gph which I think would be adequate for my purposes. Anyone use one for this purpose or have any other suggestions for doing periodic water polishing?

bhammer
12/22/2009, 01:30 PM
I have a couple of these: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/brs-gfo-and-carbon-reactor.html and they work great. I have one with carbon, one with gfo for phosphates and one packed with filter floss. I run the carbon once a week and the other's full time. Does a great job.

Stuart60611
12/22/2009, 01:40 PM
That is an interesting idea. I do have a spare phosban reactor that I could simply fill with filter floss for polishing.

bhammer
12/22/2009, 01:49 PM
That should work as well. I have a TLF reactor but replaced it with the BRS canisters. Much easier to replace media and don't leak. I plan to hook up the carbon to my Apex this weekend with a solenoid so I can just set it on a schedule to run for an hour or so a day.

I just toss out the filter floss every couple of days.

Stuart60611
12/22/2009, 01:55 PM
The problem I see using a TLF reactor is because of the long tube running down the reactor you can only use a small circle of filter floss at the top and bottom of the reactor which I would imagine not provide a great deal of mechanical filtration.

bhammer
12/22/2009, 02:10 PM
that long tube is the water in. It takes the water to the bottom of the reactor and then throught the bubble plate and back up through the big reactor chamber. Pack that puppy with floss and give it a shot. I bet you will be happy.

Stuart60611
12/22/2009, 02:25 PM
Ok, thanks, I will give it a shot.