PDA

View Full Version : Reefmaster Alkalinity Test Confusion

icejay
12/22/2009, 04:09 PM
Hi guys. I'm using the Instant Ocean Reefmaster Alkalinity Test to determine measurement of carbonates in my tank. A little bit confused about it... The ROUTINE TEST instruction says that if the first drop of the alkalinity reagent turns the sample water yellow, proceed to PRECISION TEST (which has the same procedure with the ROUTINE TEST except for dividing the number of drops to 4 instead of 2).

On my sample, the first drop of the reagent turned the sample blue so I'm doing the ROUTINE TEST. Then it turned yellow-green after 12 drops. As doing the ROUTINE TEST, the result would be 6 meq/L which is very high. The instruction says that it could only test up within the range of 0-5.0 meq/L.

Is the result accurate? or should it be 3 meq/L (PRECISION) instead of 6 meq/L (ROUTINE)? Hope you could shed light. Thanks.

thegrun
12/22/2009, 04:13 PM
I'm not a big fan of the IO test kits, specially the Alk Test Kit. API is quick and easy to use, Salifert is a little more accurate but slightly more difficult to use.

icejay
12/22/2009, 04:58 PM
@ thegrun: have you tried the IO test kit? maybe you can help out?

icejay
12/22/2009, 06:43 PM
:bump:

bertoni
12/22/2009, 08:11 PM
What's being dosed into the tank? pH buffers add a lot of alkalinity, for example.