PDA

View Full Version : crab id

jimzin15754
12/22/2009, 04:22 PM
Ive noticed this guy a few times over the last month..this time he picked the wrong place to hang out as I was able to snatch him. Im guessing he xanthid and not reef safefrom a web page I found. I found him in a colony of zoos. any ideas?

dudley moray
12/22/2009, 06:31 PM
looks kinda like a fiddler crab check wetwebmedia.com

wab
12/22/2009, 06:48 PM
Hi, from what I have heard a crusher claw is not good for reef and fish. That already looks like a hugh claw.

Chiefsurfer
12/22/2009, 07:37 PM
Think of it this way. GENERALLY, longer thinner claws are for feeding, or holding. When you have 2 claws of equal size, fairly large, you are looking at a carnivore. When looking at 2 tiny claws, of equal size, it suggests a veggie type. When you have one of each(barring mods like that of a pistol shrimp) you are looking at a shellfish eater. Like a lobster. A lobster can't move his claws nearly fast enough to catch a fish because the one especially is so big it's hard to move. HOWEVER, there is enough power in that one claw to tear open a huge oyster, or mussel, or clam.

SO, i would infer that he is an omnivore that can eat plant material, but does have a sweet tooth for shellfish. That is not to say he can't defend himself and do damage, but I doubt he will go around hunting moving things.

I have to agree, it looks like a fiddler. I wouldn't keep it.