PDA

View Full Version : Is this unit ok to keep over an sps dominated tank?

lougotzz
12/23/2009, 12:08 PM
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/IceCap/Reef_Illuminations_T5_Fixtures/48_inch__Reef_Illuminations_Fixture_w!_4x54W_T5_&_4_LED_LunarLites_by_IceCap

72 gallon tank, 19 inches tall. ritteri anemone, sps dominated. Trying to have clams on the floor. I need to replace an 8 bulb tek light.

Thanks.

jayhawk317
12/23/2009, 12:13 PM
i have a 65 gallon and its only 36" long. the light your talking about is a 48" fixture. your tank might be 48" long, just wanted to make sure you realized that. as far as your question i dont know anything about sps sp cant help ya there, but im sure someone will be along that can.

Toddrtrex
12/23/2009, 01:08 PM
It doesn't appear to say if that unit has individual reflectors or not, which is fairly important for T5s. I would go with a 6 bulb fixture, with individual reflectors.

ken6217
12/23/2009, 01:17 PM
You need 36" and I would go with 6 bulbs and individual reflectors. You can grow any SPS with that.
Ken

lougotzz
12/23/2009, 02:27 PM
Why cant I have a 48 inch fixture on a 48 inch tank? yeah I know I need individual reflectors, ill have to email them to find out.

asl4me76
12/23/2009, 02:29 PM
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/IceCap/Reef_Illuminations_T5_Fixtures/48_inch__Reef_Illuminations_Fixture_w!_4x54W_T5_&_4_LED_LunarLites_by_IceCap

72 gallon tank, 19 inches tall. ritteri anemone, sps dominated. Trying to have clams on the floor. I need to replace an 8 bulb tek light.

Thanks.

Best bet is to ask Craig there and he'll tell ya what ya need for the setup you are trying to establish. He won't lead you wrong, he's very knowledgeable.

Paulairduck
12/23/2009, 04:06 PM
I dont think it would be a step up from a 8 bulb tek, the ice cap only runs 4 bulbs, and then has led supp lighting.

go with a 6 bulb ati, , that would be a upgrade for a SPS system

lougotzz
12/23/2009, 04:13 PM
a 6 bulbs 54 watt ati is a step up from a 8 bulb 54 watt tek? How does that work?

lougotzz
12/23/2009, 07:36 PM
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/ATI/Powermodule_Fixtures/48_inch__8x54W_Powermodule_T5_High-Output_Fixture_by_ATI

Would that be to intense or would that be ok?

grigsy
12/23/2009, 08:07 PM
+1 with Toddrtrex

I would go with the ATI fixture over the Ice Cap especially if you want to do SPS.

lougotzz
12/23/2009, 08:27 PM
6 or 8 bulb?

N-A-S-O
12/23/2009, 09:24 PM
Simple answer. The Tek fixture does not have active cooling and individual reflectors which hurts output. The ATI fixtures are awsome, but cost way to much in my opinon..which dosn't mean much:D I'm using a TX5 on a 70g and have SPS and clams from the top to the bottom of the tank with no issues. Maybe you should check into that and Tek just came out with new fixtures that have active cooling. For the price of that ATI you could get two Tx5 or tek fixtures.

jayhawk317
12/23/2009, 09:27 PM
did your first post say your tank was 65gallons?

nikon187
12/23/2009, 10:40 PM
he posted 72g ( i think a oceanic 72g bowfront, just guessing) which is 48" long.

lougotzz
12/25/2009, 11:42 AM
Actually its a custom 72. 48x18x19. Sorry for confusion. I made a typo and edited my original post. I think my tek light has individual reflectors? Would you guys go with 6 or 8 bulb ati light?

FranktheTankTx
12/25/2009, 01:12 PM
I'm curious as to why you're so intent on replacing the 8 bulb TEK fixture? An 8 bulb TEK fixture is very capable of supporting SPS & clams. Is there something wrong with it?

If so, TEK is coming out with a new TEK Elite that has active cooling & upgraded reflectors - for a fraction of the cost of the ATI. You might want to look into those & pre order.

cykenp
12/25/2009, 02:02 PM
I've ask GrimReaper many many questions on here and he has taught me alot. I definitely would recommend searching his T5 thread or just asking him a question. Anyhow, your older 8 bulb TEK probably performs between a 4 bulb ATI and a 6 bulb ATI. Mainly because the Ice Cap 660 ballasts overdrives the bulbs and puts out more, but also the fan allows better performance as well. However, overdriving the bulbs also decreases its lifespan.
As for the first light setup you refered to, I guess the main question would be which icecap ballast is it supplied with. It didn't say whether it was a 440 or 660. It would be a big difference. Plus those LED's are more moonlight and color effects than actually putting out much PAR. If you do the math, each of those LED strips are only 9 watts each (I did it quick, correct me if I'm wrong), and with no optics. So you'll be just mainly relying on 4 T5 bulbs. I would recommend a 6 bulb ATI or 7 bulb Aquactinics, or the new TEK that comes with the fans. The 8 bulb ATI would certainly be alot but might be more than what you need and have to be real careful whenever you bring new corals in.

lougotzz
12/26/2009, 11:28 AM
Ok so maybe ill go with a 6 bulb ati. yeah grim reefer picked out my bulbs for the tek light. To answer Frank, yeah the light fixture is broken, and no one seems to want to help me with it at sls. After 30 days reefgeek has you call the manufacturer.

lougotzz
12/26/2009, 11:30 AM
Would you go with the powermodule fixture or sunpower fixture?

luther1200
12/26/2009, 11:35 AM
I would get a 6 bulb Sunpower if it was me. But if you have the extra money the Powermodule would be nice.

lougotzz
12/26/2009, 11:53 AM
Whats the difference from the two?

FranktheTankTx
12/26/2009, 06:06 PM
Whats the difference from the two?
I believe one less cooling fan & a slightly different housing (just a little cheaper). I would get the sunpower also... although, for probably less $$$ you could get the TEK Elite 8 bulb fixture... check me on that.

TEK is a good product... sorry you had trouble with your other one.

raynist
12/26/2009, 08:27 PM
I've ask GrimReaper many many questions on here and he has taught me alot. I definitely would recommend searching his T5 thread or just asking him a question. Anyhow, your older 8 bulb TEK probably performs between a 4 bulb ATI and a 6 bulb ATI. Mainly because the Ice Cap 660 ballasts overdrives the bulbs and puts out more, but also the fan allows better performance as well. However, overdriving the bulbs also decreases its lifespan.
As for the first light setup you refered to, I guess the main question would be which icecap ballast is it supplied with. It didn't say whether it was a 440 or 660. It would be a big difference. Plus those LED's are more moonlight and color effects than actually putting out much PAR. If you do the math, each of those LED strips are only 9 watts each (I did it quick, correct me if I'm wrong), and with no optics. So you'll be just mainly relying on 4 T5 bulbs. I would recommend a 6 bulb ATI or 7 bulb Aquactinics, or the new TEK that comes with the fans. The 8 bulb ATI would certainly be alot but might be more than what you need and have to be real careful whenever you bring new corals in.

The ATI Powermodules do not use icecap ballasts and are not overdriven. They get their high par from superior cooling and reflectors.

The icecap fixture he is asking about does have individual reflectors, but does not use the 660 or 430 ballasts. They are normally driven T5 ballasts, although I am not sure of the brand. I don't think this would be a great fixture for sps as it only has 4 T-5 bulbs and no active cooling. I woud look at the new tek fixtures or an aquactinics TX5 or a Solar Flare if you really want to blast them with light. I have a powermodule, sunpower and constellation. In order of how I like them I would put them in the order: Sunpower, Constellation, Powermodule.

--Ray