PDA

View Full Version : black or brown socks

ethank77
12/23/2009, 03:43 PM
This is probibly trivial but just thought I would enquire.

I run 2 tanks a 58 mixed reef and a 125 mixed reef in the 58 I dose vitimin c and 2 part and coral amino
In the 125 I am dosing 2 part coral amino and vsv
both tanks get a biweekly dosing of mb7
and both have filter socks in sump but the 58 after 48 hr the socks are stained a black collaration that does not like to come out, where as the 125 socks are a medium brown that removes easilly and smells less.
can any one tell me the difference in black sock or brown socks.

HighlandReefer
12/23/2009, 05:14 PM
I find the color variation in your filter socks between your two systems interesting. :)

Different bacteria can have different pigmentations within their cells. Some bacteria are capable of changing the pigmentations within their cells due to differences in their environment. The same goes for algae and cyanobacteria. Different organic matter can have different color variations. So there are a lot of variables that can be attributed to the colors you see.

It would be interesting to take a microscopic look at what is going on. ;)

ethank77
12/23/2009, 06:43 PM
I notised this for thew first time when I did the high nutriant start up phase for the mb 7 about 8or9 days of dosing the product every day the filter sock started turning black and the skimm in the skimmer turned black and thick. the 125 did it only during this period and sisce stoped. A friend on our local forum told me that the black ment I had a high load of bacteria but of course I am looking for second opnions if for nothing else because two brains are better than one. But I agreee that something is happening what I am not sure.