PDA

View Full Version : Maxi-jet 1600 upgrade with wavemaker?

palmer373
12/23/2009, 06:09 PM
hey i was thinking of getting a maxi-jet 1600 upgrade for my maxi-jet and i was planning on using it with a wave maker but the ones at vivid aquariums (where im buying from) says the upgrade soe not work with the wavemaker. is it just the Red Sea wavemaker they sell or for all wavemakers?
http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=04-2969-10&Category=Drygoods And Aquarium Supplies:In-Tank Circulation Pumps&SortBy=Price

and i am not planning on using the Red Sea wavemaker, ill be using the Ocean Pulse Wavemaker Quadra from Drs. Foster and Smith

im confused please help

flipteg
12/23/2009, 07:16 PM
it says it's not designed because AC pumps don't really have a way to electrically correct the direction of the spin of the propeller/impeller (unlike DC pumps)... when you first switch an AC pump on, it will spin in either direction... if it spins the wrong way, the magnet/propeller assembly will lift off the housing and it will hit the end of the guard... since the guard is preventing it from spinning in the wrong direction, it will bounce back down and will start spinning in the correct direction... although some people are putting these types of pumps on a wave maker, pump manufacturers don't usually rate their pumps for the amount of impact the propeller/magnet and housing will experience for most of the time power is cycled on AC pumps like these...

even my Tunze 6025 will sometimes bounce a few times back and forth when the power fluctuates as if it can't get the propeller spinning in the correct direction...

jayk198030
12/23/2009, 07:30 PM
flipteg +1

i have used maxi 1600 on wave-makers before. they bounce a little and even if sometimes it spins backwards it adds a different dimension of flow. also sometime my mod would fall off the pump so i used a small dab of superglue to hold it in place.