PDA

View Full Version : Starboard or light diffuser self/rack for Bare Bottom tank?

MDG3
12/23/2009, 06:53 PM
Would like your expert opinion on which is better for a BB tank? I'm thinking of ditching the sand bed.
I see a lot of people using either one but would like to hear your experiences. :confused:

TIA :reading:

carpas
12/23/2009, 07:12 PM
I don't run a bb tank but I would imagine the light diffuser would trap gunk and defeat the purpose. It would be easier to have your flow keep everything in suspension off starboard.

MDG3
12/23/2009, 07:27 PM
One more thing I didn't take in consideration was that, the holes in the diffuser might trap my crabs and snails. Unless you put some kind of mesh on top of the diffuser. It sounds like I might be voting for the diffuser but the trouble is, Starboard is hard to put in it without it been a custom deal. My overflow is inside the tank , in the left rear corner but not touching the back wall. Any advice is appreciated.

carpas
12/23/2009, 07:45 PM
If you can get the dimensions of the foot print I can't imagine some place like a counter shop making a few cuts for you.

CUZ
12/23/2009, 07:47 PM
why not just straight bare bottom??? i've got mine that way and love it to death!!

James77
12/23/2009, 08:48 PM
Ive done both DSB and BB with starboard, and Ive liked neither. I use a shallow bed of medium sized aragonite, about an inch deep. I put it over starboard to prevent glass showing through if it blew around. It is easy to keep clean with a monthly blast of all sand and does not blow around. It looks great also.

If you do go BB, I would use HDPE(high density polyethylene), which is cutting board material. Starboard is a brand name of HDPE(i believe) for marine and boat use, it is UV resistant. You can buy the HDPE in 4'x8' sheets at any plastics dealer. I cut mine for a 6' bowfront tank with overflows- I had to do it in a couple pieces cause of the odd shape. A jigsaw cuts right through it.

The light diffuser will trap crap.

MDG3
12/27/2009, 11:21 PM
The light diffuser will trap crap.

If using a powerhead to blow the crap around (i.e. suspend) would it be adequate enough to get rid of the detritus from under the diffuser or am I still chasing an impossible way out? :worried::mixed: