PDA

View Full Version : Urchin Issues

cknguyen3
12/23/2009, 10:14 PM
I have a pin-cushion that loves to decorate itself with anything it can grab its hands on, unfortunatantly its favorite thing to decroate itself with is my coral frags. Every so often the little bugger steals one of my frags and runs away with it, when this happens i take the coral off and place it back with a piece or LR on it or something to keep it down. Unfortunantly once the urchin has picked it up it seems it wont leave it alone and when i come back the next day that piece of coral has been snatched up by the urchin again. Furthermore the urchin drops off the frags in places with no light and cannot be accesed so the frags end up dying.
So far the urchin has killed.
Green Zoas x1
Frogspawn x1
Orange/Ricordea x1
Blue Ricordea x1

If any1 has any suggestion on how to stop this urchin from adding another coral to its list of confirmed kills, it would be appreciated.

Chris

SumBub
12/29/2009, 11:21 AM
Try gluing down the frags. That way, it can't grab it on the way out.

mscarpena
12/29/2009, 06:53 PM
Get rid of the urchin. They are bulldozers and problems.

cknguyen3
12/29/2009, 11:23 PM
thanks for input.

hes settled down now, and i figure ill just buy larger frags so he cant steal them.

cknguyen3
01/04/2010, 07:31 PM
Just a quick update.

Mr. Pincushion has gone on a "killing" spree.
Recently i got 8 Ricordea from KeysCritters and its been less then a week and he's gotten to 4 of them already.

claire481
01/11/2010, 07:56 PM
I had the exact same problem, with the added issue of having the urchin kiddnap my hermit crabs and take them for rides around the aquarium with their little legs waving helplessly. When the urchin knocked over my beautiful xenia tree, that was the last straw. I bagged him up and let my aquarium store deal with him.