PDA

View Full Version : Colonies burgeoning and collapsing over time

zachfishman
12/23/2009, 11:11 PM
I'd like to know what you fellow reefers would suggest I do.

I have experienced an intriguing situation in my 120 reef over the last several years. Of the many corals I have (all hardy, low-light varieties) I see patterns whereby one or two species will grow vigorously, then seem to peter out, either dying off entirely or simply stop growing. Examples include: zoos (huge explosion, now stopped growing), trumpet coral (a hundred heads from one small frag, now almost completely dead and gone), GSP (all gone), xenia (explosion, now all gone), frogspawn (big growth in the past, now nothing). Currently all that is growing great are Monti cap. and red shrooms.

My tank does not receive adequate maintenance, as I am home from school only 2-3 times a year to perform a few water changes. The tank has a big external skimmer and and an old powerfilter that I recharge with carbon when I'm home. My parents feed the fish, top off, and add supplements in the meantime). Supplements are: kalk, Seachem reef builder, Kent Strontium, and PurpleUP. Supplement regimens are kept extremely conservative to avoid overdosing, and have done well in maintaining Calcium and alk as far as I've measured.

If you were only home 2-3x a year, what else would you do/change to maintain the health of your low-tech reef?

jthomps123
12/24/2009, 12:05 AM
I would assume the lack of water changes. Do the good times correlate with the water changes (replenishment).

zachfishman
12/24/2009, 08:44 AM
You'd think so, but the boom-bust cycles average a period of two years.

Out of curiosity, I had two types of zoos: orange ones which stopped growing and are just sitting there, and brown ones which I swore were going to cover every hard surface in the tank. The brown ones were prolific, with tons and tons of coverage, until they just melted away over ~1yr. What do you suppose happened to all that zoo juice? I know those suckers pack some bad toxins. Do you suppose it was all skimmed out?

On a related note, since my red mushrooms have been going strong for so long in a tank with minimal water changes, do you suspect that they could be producing chemicals which have become concentrated over time? If different corals have different responses/thresholds of tolerance for mushroom allelopathy, that could explain the staged effect I'm observing.