PDA

View Full Version : Need to make ro/di water

threephase37
12/25/2009, 10:50 AM
2 weeks ago I found a dead mex turbo snail in my tank, luckly I found him before there was major rot. Just today I found my big mex torbo snail dead after my test showed very high nitrate levels, needless to say he was decaying for awhile, his shell pulled off the meat and major nasty came floating out. I need to do a 25% water change NOW but its Christmas and have to buy dI water at stores. Is there any way such as boiling water to make safe water for my change. It's not toxic (but very bad) as the Ammonia and ntrite levels haven't changed, seems they should have. I have one more mex turbo in my tank, think I will take him out since it's hard to catch there death in time and not sure why 2 of the 3 died within 2 weeks of each other.
Thanks and Merry Christmas all !!!

Jurgs
12/25/2009, 11:16 AM
I would not chance the RO water, i would set the skimmer to skimmer abit wetter than normal and wait till you can get some RO or salt water to do the water change.

threephase37
12/25/2009, 11:34 AM
Kinda expected that answer about the water but thought I would ask anyway just incase.
Thanks

deviilsadvocate
12/25/2009, 12:53 PM
Threephase, do you have any hermits? With enough hermits the snail corpse would be gone before it would decay and have any impact on the tank.. =)

Amici316
12/25/2009, 01:28 PM
An RODI will pay for itself pretty quickly. At a bare minimum I would pick up some prime and stability and dose them to the tank. It will at least help in detoxifying the nasties you have until you can get some major WC's knocked out. You shouldnt have any Ammonia in the tank unless its a new tank thats still cycling (I wouldnt have anything in the tank if its this case) or unless you had something else die or you disturbed your sand bed mixing up detritus. Best of luck.

MalIII
12/25/2009, 02:14 PM
Air Water Ice has a great RODI product line.

threephase37
12/25/2009, 06:06 PM
Threephase, do you have any hermits? With enough hermits the snail corpse would be gone before it would decay and have any impact on the tank.. =)

No hermits but will consider, thanks

threephase37
12/25/2009, 06:18 PM
An RODI will pay for itself pretty quickly. At a bare minimum I would pick up some prime and stability and dose them to the tank. It will at least help in detoxifying the nasties you have until you can get some major WC's knocked out. You shouldnt have any Ammonia in the tank unless its a new tank thats still cycling (I wouldnt have anything in the tank if its this case) or unless you had something else die or you disturbed your sand bed mixing up detritus. Best of luck.

My tanks is fully cycled although it was a problem child when I bought it used 6 months ago. under sized box (hob) filter, undersized heater and no skimmer. levels were wacked and had to work very hard to get them back into check. Nitrates are still a battle as I had a damsel which kicks up the substrate, gave him a swirley. I also have a snowflake eel which makes tunnels under the LR and does the same. I just posted all my fish on craigslist till I get the tank the way I want it.
I will go to the lfs tomarrow for the additives and get some DI at wally world also.
Thanks
Thanks

threephase37
12/25/2009, 06:22 PM
Air Water Ice has a great RODI product line.

Already been there looking, found the extreme that I want for around 250 and now I just have to save up. I have to tell myself patients all the time !!!