PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up and Adjusting a Denitrater properly?

triggerfreak
12/25/2009, 12:07 PM
Getting a denitrater soon and would like some good directions or instructions on how to get it set up and going.Then on how to get it properly adjusted to start doing its job.And how to adjust it over time.Thanks!

r-balljunkie
12/25/2009, 12:39 PM
realistically, need more info on your setup, but here it is in a nutshell.

drip slow at first
increase after a couple of weeks, increase more after that.
rinse media when effluent starts to smell like rotten eggs, or your wife mentions, whats that smell.

MAKE SURE TO INCREASE ALK AS DENITRATORS ZAP YOUR ALK.

if you dont, you will notice a bit of rtn around your sps.

c

triggerfreak
12/25/2009, 01:15 PM
It is a 210 gallon aggressive fish only tank.So alk in not even tested,I will be running a duel brs reactor from bulk reef supply.And it will be filled with carab sea no-nitrate bio blend media.And it will be run by a maxi jet 900.

r-balljunkie
12/25/2009, 01:26 PM
Ish.....not really ideal, as that's flow thru, whereas you should be recirculating. The media builds up bacteria that eats the nitrates.....you can't really drip. if you bought the brs reactors already, don't know what to say. Most folks convert an old calcium reactor or diy one.

triggerfreak
12/25/2009, 01:43 PM
There are plenty of people running the same brs reactors for denitrators.I have a buddy that is running the same one i am getting on 2 180 gallon tanks tied together and it is working great for him.Ish.....not really ideal, as that's flow thru, whereas you should be recirculating. The media builds up bacteria that eats the nitrates.....you can't really drip. if you bought the brs reactors already, don't know what to say. Most folks convert an old calcium reactor or diy one.

Amici316
12/25/2009, 02:11 PM
There are plenty of people running the same brs reactors for denitrators.I have a buddy that is running the same one i am getting on 2 180 gallon tanks tied together and it is working great for him.

Well just because plenty of people do it still doesnt mean its being done correctly. :D If its a FO tank why not just step up the WC a bit to keep the trates down? You shouldnt really have a big problem with them on a FO if proper maintenance is observed. Either way running it through a reactor doesnt work well since the time on the media is lower than optimum.

triggerfreak
12/25/2009, 02:15 PM
I have tried stepping up the water changes.It does not really help.I have lots of big triggers and puffers in the tank and i feed heavily.I do have a nice big skimmer but my nitrates still run about 160 to 200 ppm.Well just because plenty of people do it still doesnt mean its being done correctly. :D If its a FO tank why not just step up the WC a bit to keep the trates down? You shouldnt really have a big problem with them on a FO if proper maintenance is observed. Either way running it through a reactor doesnt work well since the time on the media is lower than optimum.

r-balljunkie
12/25/2009, 02:38 PM
Well just because plenty of people do it still doesnt mean its being done correctly. :D .

+2 :beer:

use the search function on sulphur /sulfur denitrator. You need to create an anaerobic (low oxygen) condition inside the reactor for the bacteria growth.

This is not like GFO, whereas the media will “absorb” something.
You need to create the conditions in order for the denitrator to work properly.

i have been running one for a couple of years, with great success. i maintain my nitrates, with probably 1/4 the media i started with two years ago.

not saying what you are doing will not work, it just will not work effectively, and is not the current prescribed methodology for a true "sulfur denitrator".

End of the day, you might do more harm than good.

good luck

C

triggerfreak
12/25/2009, 02:47 PM
I have researched it and to tell you the truth the brs reactor is no different that others i have seen.You are still pushing the water into a chamber and up trough the media and out.The reactor i am talking about is not like ones used to run gfo in.I know those are different.There reactor that i am talking about is basically a duel chamber ro unit filled with the media.then it is set up to accept a maxi jet pump and a valve to control the out put of the water.Now if i am wrong than i do need to do some more research but i have looked at a denitrator and these are identical in operation just different in looks.

r-balljunkie
12/25/2009, 03:11 PM
I have researched it and to tell you the truth the brs reactor is no different that others i have seen.You are still pushing the water into a chamber and up trough the media and out.The reactor i am talking about is not like ones used to run gfo in.I know those are different.There reactor that i am talking about is basically a duel chamber ro unit filled with the media.then it is set up to accept a maxi jet pump and a valve to control the out put of the water.Now if i am wrong than i do need to do some more research but i have looked at a denitrator and these are identical in operation just different in looks.

not to be mean, but you are incorrect. there might be a way to mod a brs reactor.......lots and lots of work (i have owned one....i know what they are) , plumb the pump to recirc/ add a feed port....with a needle valve to reduce your flow output but its nowhere close to a denitrator/calcium reactor.

a denitrator is simply a calcium reactor with the co2 port plugged up. nothing more, nothing less. it uses a pump to recirculate serious flow thru the media, over and over, hence the need for a feed pump. with a brs reactor, its simply flow thru, no feed pump.

good luck

c

triggerfreak
12/25/2009, 03:25 PM
Ok.Well what do you think about this.A local reefer has this up for sale and was only ran for about 6 months and only wants 50 for it.hear are the pics and info he listed.
Nitrate Reactor includes:
Eheim recirculation pump
Extra ARM media
Extra Sulfur media
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q266/Triggerfreak/DSC_4115.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q266/Triggerfreak/DSC_4126.jpg

r-balljunkie
12/25/2009, 03:49 PM
That’s a modified TLF150. smallish for your water volume...might be a bargain just for the eheim...ha ha.

i would do this, before i tried to setup a brs as a denitrator. problem is, you might not get the results you want with such a small reactor if you are truly talking 350+ system volumes......you need bigger.
in principle, his setup looks sound, plumbing wise, but think you would max out at 150 gallons effectiveness.

for the money, its a good deal....
you can buy it, and then see if you can find an old calcium reactor with a blemish in it, or on the cheap, and add or swap it out.
GL

c

r-balljunkie
12/25/2009, 03:50 PM
ps.

i would fill that sucker up with as much media as possible, leave a little bit of coral at the top, and manually dose for alk to offset.

triggerfreak
12/25/2009, 03:53 PM
My sestom is only a 210 gallon tank with a 70 gallon sump.Maybe 200 total gallons of actual water.And i do not need to dose for alk.It is not a reef tank.

r-balljunkie
12/25/2009, 03:58 PM
My sestom is only a 210 gallon tank with a 70 gallon sump.Maybe 200 total gallons of actual water.And i do not need to dose for alk.It is not a reef tank.

ok,

go for it!!!

i still strongly suggest dosing for alk.....this stuff messes with your ph as well, so dosing alk will take care of both. even though its a FO system, you should still strive to maintain decent water quality......would want a nasty ich outbreak would ya?