PDA

View Full Version : First 135 gallon

Boundless
12/25/2009, 04:45 PM
Am in the process of planning for my 135g. I was hoping if anyone of those experienced reefers could suggest anything that would make this process easier in the long run.:D

( Please keep in mind I am a 15 year old boy)

This is what I have planned out so far.
Tank dimension 72in X 18in X 25in

2 x Odyssea 36" total wattage 312

TYPHOON 5 Stage RODI Reefkeeper 75 or 100 GPD from air,water and ice

Suggestions on quiet pumps,power heads?And how to plumb two overflow with two holes each?

Coral I plan to have are LPS , SPS, maybe softies.

I feel like I should let you guys know I plan to keep a GBT when the tank matures to 6-7 months and it will have its own island isolated from the main land of corals.

jhawkor
12/25/2009, 05:02 PM
Couple of things. First, Odysea is VERY cheap go with a trusted brand. Second, anemones can move. Even though you may place the Nem by itself it will likely move someplace else. As for powerheads I would recommended Tunze.

Boundless
12/25/2009, 05:25 PM
So what other brand do you suggest that is at a reasonable price? Yes, I do know they move but I read someone having done this that maybe I could pull it off by isolating it.

jhawkor
12/25/2009, 06:13 PM
So what other brand do you suggest that is at a reasonable price? Yes, I do know they move but I read someone having done this that maybe I could pull it off by isolating it.

Are you wanting halides or t-5's?

Brando457
12/25/2009, 06:24 PM
Each overflow has 2 holes, one for return, one for overflow feeding sump correct?

I have a similar tank mine is same dimensions 72 x 18 x 25 oceanic.

For the lights are those PC or T5? For a tank like this if you plan on keeping corals LPS or SPS or Softies I would suggest T5 or MH. The T5 fixtures I'd suggest are Tek or ATI 6 - 8 bulb. You could get away with doing a 60" fixture, but not put corals on the other 6" on each side. I am running a 72" Coralife Aqualight MH 3 x 150 72" fixture with 14K bulbs.

Pumps I am looking at a mag 18, which will be tuned with a ball valve, for powerheads I am doing 2 x mp40, but others seem to like tunzes.

Are you planning on doing 2 heaters? It is better to do 2 incase one gets stuck or stops working you won't "cook" your tank.

Also I may suggest you do mostly base with some liverock to save on costs.

Anything else ask, I've been researching now for a while and am in the process of upgrading.

Also what size sump are you planning on using? Skimmer? Refuge or no Refuge etc.

Boundless
12/27/2009, 10:51 AM
Each overflow has 2 holes, one for return, one for overflow feeding sump correct?

I have a similar tank mine is same dimensions 72 x 18 x 25 oceanic.

For the lights are those PC or T5? For a tank like this if you plan on keeping corals LPS or SPS or Softies I would suggest T5 or MH. The T5 fixtures I'd suggest are Tek or ATI 6 - 8 bulb. You could get away with doing a 60" fixture, but not put corals on the other 6" on each side. I am running a 72" Coralife Aqualight MH 3 x 150 72" fixture with 14K bulbs.

Pumps I am looking at a mag 18, which will be tuned with a ball valve, for powerheads I am doing 2 x mp40, but others seem to like tunzes.

Are you planning on doing 2 heaters? It is better to do 2 incase one gets stuck or stops working you won't "cook" your tank.

Also I may suggest you do mostly base with some liverock to save on costs.

Anything else ask, I've been researching now for a while and am in the process of upgrading.

Also what size sump are you planning on using? Skimmer? Refuge or no Refuge etc.

Thank you for the plumbing info!:p

I read around the forums and it seems that 2 heaters are popular and good to have so I will get them. And Yes, I will get a Refuge and might put in a crytic zone beside it and let Coraline grow on the walls. I plan to only buy a little bit of live rock and buy or make my own dry rock. Then let them seed the dry rock in the tank when I have assembled my things I will need for it.
I plan to get a Reef Octopus NWB 150 Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer from Aquacave. I will also look at the mag 18 and the lighting you suggested.:hammer:

Any other suggestions? Am leaning towards Hydor Koralia and will replace them when I can save up enough for Tunze or any other good durable ones. Also am probably gonna buy odyssea or sway my parents to buy Current USA 72 inch 12x39W Nova Extreme Pro T5HO 6-10/6-460nm Actinics.

Boundless
12/28/2009, 11:06 PM
Any links to some Southdown sand or any more suggestions so far no luck with Google.

beeker
12/29/2009, 11:50 AM
The koralia's should be ok, you might need 4 of them if not more, but they do make giant koralia's now that push over 1000gph so that is an option and they are cheaper than tunze i'm pretty sure

Boundless
12/29/2009, 10:16 PM
I finally found some great cheap live sand that is from Florida and will probably order my aquarium by tomorrow.

Beeker -Thanks for the suggestion of numbers and am planning to get four or three Koralia 4's

1. How many shrimps should I put in my tank to get the cycle started? I was thinking along the line of 2-5 pieces of shrimp from the deli.

Brando457
12/29/2009, 11:22 PM
Boundless how is the build coming? any updates?

Boundless
12/29/2009, 11:52 PM
Very glad that my thread is not dead!

Am inching closer to my tank =) but my mom has placed her mind on a 95gallon in another store for me.

These are my goals that I have set on.
1.Reef Octopus NWB 150 Needle Wheel Protein and get a Ro/di system
2. Obtain at least 2 Koralia 4's , and mag 18
3.Rid the thought that endangers my future tank
4. Get some T5 lighting
5.Construct Refuge and Cryptic part of the sump(not sure if it is called a sump anymore)
6.Get test kit
7.Replace some test from kit with electronic test
8.buy live rock and sand from ebay
9.get 2X heaters, Refractometer , Reliable Thermometer
10. Start cycle before My birthday

Such a long list Lol.

Questions?
1. Anyone dose their tanks with Phytoplankton?
2. Is it effect the tank in a negative way or positive?
3. tips to keep GBTA on an island?
4. Mixing pink skunk and black Ocellaris good or bad?
5. Which would you recommend 4 stage or 5 stage?
6. Any recommendations on Titanium heaters?

crsaz
12/30/2009, 02:42 AM
I would go with a larger skimmer, atleast 2x manufacturer's rating(Im going with 10x rating on my new 57 build) so on your tank something rated for 250-300 gallons. and get tunze's(or save for vortechs) you will be happier, look around your local club or on the classifieds here for used equip. there are some great deals to be had, my current tank is 100% used equipment and I set it up when I was about your age, then again that wasn't long ago(2 yrs)
and just becaus I like to post pics of my tank lol, a pic of my el-cheapo sps/lps tank
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/crsaz/fts.jpg

mcliffy2
12/30/2009, 10:44 AM
I would suggest different tank dimensions. Skinny, long and tall is no good IMO. Makes aquascaping difficult and less attractive, and the thin 6 ft. tank can make lighting much more expensive. I would suggest a 120 gal (48x24x24), over the options you are looking at. You can go with a 4 ft or 3 ft Tek fixture on that which will also reduce your costs.

Boundless
12/30/2009, 01:55 PM
I would go with a larger skimmer, atleast 2x manufacturer's rating(Im going with 10x rating on my new 57 build) so on your tank something rated for 250-300 gallons. and get tunze's(or save for vortechs) you will be happier, look around your local club or on the classifieds here for used equip. there are some great deals to be had, my current tank is 100% used equipment and I set it up when I was about your age, then again that wasn't long ago(2 yrs)
and just becaus I like to post pics of my tank lol, a pic of my el-cheapo sps/lps tank
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/crsaz/fts.jpg

I have looked into used aquariums and other useful equipment but my Mom just shoots the word no each and every time unless it is new. But tonight I will try and convince her to buy a 72 inch used lighting fixture or skimmer ,if I can find one. And Great tank BTW! The LPS pops out of the tank and amazed at the glowing colors of your coral.

mcliffy2 - Then I guess I will have to re-size the live rock am going to make myself then. And will be on the hunt for a used or good quality fixture.

Questions!
1. Anyone have suggestions on skimmer brand that are excellent?
2. Anyone ever heard or used this product called Aqua Quest needle wheel protein skimmer?

mcliffy2
12/30/2009, 02:30 PM
Check out the Reef Octopus line for quality lower priced skimmers: http://www.reefspecialty.com/Protein-Skimmers-Super-Reef-Octopus/c21_103/p599/Super-Reef-Octopus-Protein-Skimmer-XP-2000-Internal/product_info.html

mcliffy2
12/30/2009, 02:37 PM
Also, since it sounds like you are on budget, can you let us know what you have in mind as a total budget? With a first tank, its very common to underestimate all the costs. Even looking for used equipment a decent setup is probably going to run you 3-4k in the size of tanks you are looking at. Sometimes its better to go a bit smaller and get higher quality, than extending too far and ending up with something you don't like.

Lyfey
12/30/2009, 03:00 PM
Also, since it sounds like you are on budget, can you let us know what you have in mind as a total budget? With a first tank, its very common to underestimate all the costs. Even looking for used equipment a decent setup is probably going to run you 3-4k in the size of tanks you are looking at. Sometimes its better to go a bit smaller and get higher quality, than extending too far and ending up with something you don't like.

wow, I couldnt have said it any better myself. Just remember this hobby is expensive, very expensive.

Boundless
12/30/2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the link mcliffy2!:hammer:

I will now probably go around the internet and add up the total cost of the things I will need to get and consult with my Mom.

Almost forgot! Do you guys have a good digital camera for beginners because am hoping to document for my journal?

Any suggestions on internal pump?

crsaz
12/30/2009, 04:33 PM
I would just get a cheapy, point and shoot if I were you, thats all I use. and you can still get decent pics. also about the used equip. Also I see her point about some things(I would never by a large used tank unless they are extremely high quility and under warranty like a miracles tank) but for most other things, skimmer lights ect I would def. look around the classifieds

my $80ish(cant remember exactly what I paid)Point and shoot macro's
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/crsaz/P1010285.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/crsaz/rainbow2.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/crsaz/P1010297.jpg

Boundless
01/01/2010, 08:21 PM
Bad news :eek:

After my parents saw the lighting for the new 135g the has shut the door on the tank and has suggested for a smaller tank. With no cash on me enough to pay for the lighting I have chosen to go smaller. I am a little sad about the news but have looked on the bright side of going smaller.

95 gallon 48 in X 24 X 17
(still going mix)
Any good suggestions is welcome:fun4:

Boundless
01/01/2010, 09:49 PM
After consulting with my Mom we have decided on a 90 gallon tank with the dimensions of 48 in X 18 in X 25 in.

Would like any suggestions on other equipment and lighting.

P.S. Disregard the post above , I spoke too soon.

joshrules123456
01/02/2010, 01:51 AM
two words... asm g4x (you arent gonna get a better skimmer for the price) even if its new, its still cheap, and makes great foam. I have also found that a bigger width is better than height and length because of aquascaping possibilities. Im personally stuck with a 12x36 30 gallon, it is hard to come up with anything but an open aquascape with just a couple rocks. I used to have a 18 x 48 75 gallon that I had to sell and I still regret it 6 months after the fact, and probablly will for the rest of my life. as for lighting, if ya wanna be cheap, I would go with t5's low heat, low power consumpition, low cost. retrofit if your that broke. if ya really wanna save money, go with t12 vho's, I get great color and growth outta my acros, as long as I pay attention to my cal, alk, and heavy feedings. (if you give an animal less light for energy and it eats food, you need to give it more food, it works for me!)

Boundless
01/03/2010, 12:07 PM
Would this fixture work? Am not sure if this one could work so I want your opinion.
http://www.teksupply.com/farm/supplies/ProductDisplay?breadcrumb_categoryIds=&breadcrumb_trail=&catalogId=10053&division=TekSupply&editRegistration=Y&isDoc=N&pageId=ShippingDetail&parent_category_rn=&productId=287705&storeId=10001&top_category=