PDA

View Full Version : acans melting... help

enerfin
12/25/2009, 06:24 PM
hi,
i woke up and noticed 1 of my acan colonies was covered in slime. i put it in the sump and left it there for 2 days not knowing what to do but the smell in the sump got real bad so i through it out and did a water change. 3 days later, another acan colony was melted away to slime so this time i siphoned the slime off and there went the acans, down the drain. then the next day, today, 1 single head on 1 colony was melted. i siphoned it off and the rest of the colony is looking sad. please help me get this under control! someone is picking off my acans :uzi:. thanks, joel

Falconeer
12/25/2009, 06:56 PM
hi,
i woke up and noticed 1 of my acan colonies was covered in slime. i put it in the sump and left it there for 2 days not knowing what to do but the smell in the sump got real bad so i through it out and did a water change. 3 days later, another acan colony was melted away to slime so this time i siphoned the slime off and there went the acans, down the drain. then the next day, today, 1 single head on 1 colony was melted. i siphoned it off and the rest of the colony is looking sad. please help me get this under control! someone is picking off my acans :uzi:. thanks, joel

Same thing happened to a small frag (a little bit larger than a quarter) of goniopora in my tank, though I know my frag was infected with brown jelly disease. I QTd it, siphoned off the jelly, but eventually the flesh just kind of melted away.

dnreef
12/25/2009, 07:20 PM
Why would you think someone is picking off your acans? What are your prameters? I've had this happen to me and my best guess at the time was that was it was due to my temps being excessively high at the time.

Playa-1
12/25/2009, 07:21 PM
Not enough information to help. Can you post your water test results for everything that you test for? Also any information about your tank will help people to assist you.

enerfin
12/25/2009, 08:17 PM
i don't really think that anyone is picking off my acans. i haven't tested my water once since august, i usially don't and in 5 years i have had successful reefs. i guess i'll test it at a lfs and report back. i just thought it was funny how the other acans are doing well and some are dying.

Amici316
12/25/2009, 08:22 PM
i don't really think that anyone is picking off my acans. i haven't tested my water once since august, i usially don't and in 5 years i have had successful reefs. i guess i'll test it at a lfs and report back. i just thought it was funny how the other acans are doing well and some are dying.

WOW. No water test since August? That isnt gonna serve you well in this hobby! Sounds like you have been lucky for 5 years or had very hardy corals. You need to be keeping an eye on your pH, alk, mag and calc with corals to make sure the params are in check. I would pick up a QUALITY test kit next time you are at the LFS so you can keep track of them. Its alot cheaper than having to buy new corals. Sounds like brown jelly as others stated which can transfer from colony to colony but WONT wipe out a coral if you water quality is up to par. Ive had them start to brown jelly from getting hit with a nasty SPS (hydnophora) but they all bounced back after a dip. Best of luck.