PDA

View Full Version : You know it's bad when your clown is hosting it! CYANO...

Little Lucy 27
12/26/2009, 11:00 AM
really....he's hosting the cyano on the floor of my tank....ugh! I rake it up and suck it out and it comes back....I had a Diamond Goby for two days (suicide) and the sand looked great!!
I have been reading a lot of the prior posts/discussions...I just wanted to vent :-)

parameters:
calcium 460
nitrates -0-
Phos 1.0
KH 232.7

Playa-1
12/26/2009, 11:06 AM
Cyano is a PIA. It looks like you have a phosphate problem. Once you get that under control then you should be able to beat the Cyano.

Imzadi
12/26/2009, 11:48 AM
I had one hosting in the flowing Hair Algea that was growing in an abandoned snail shell. One day I look over, and before the lights came on, both of them were headfirst in the shell, like ostriches. Goofy clowns...

My hair is getting better, so they moved to a field of Anthelia... I am sure glad I bought the Frog and the hammers for them... Silly clowns.

Blown76mav
12/26/2009, 10:33 PM
Cyano is a PIA. It looks like you have a phosphate problem. Once you get that under control then you should be able to beat the Cyano.

I thought Cyano was a bacteria and not related to any one thing. My phosphates are 0 and I still get an outbreak of Cyano once in a while, each time is a little less.

Playa-1
12/26/2009, 11:28 PM
I thought Cyano was a bacteria and not related to any one thing. My phosphates are 0 and I still get an outbreak of Cyano once in a while, each time is a little less.

It is a bacteria and it's fueled initially by poor water quality and Ammonia. Once it has a foothold then it can thrive on light alone. The first step in beating it is to get the poor water quality under control. You're situation is obviously different from the OP.