PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Calcium and Alk

Chago09
12/26/2009, 06:55 PM
Ok I have been in the hobby for almost three years, but have always kept simple LPS and all sorts of softies. Two weeks ago I bought my very first SPS (millepora) and now have been paying closer attention to calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. Now my question may be a simple answer, although I just want someone to explain it to me. I see a lot of people are dosing their tanks with two part supplements and have reactors etc to maintain a healthy calcium and alkalinty level. Now this is my first SPS coral in my tank so maybe my tank has never experienced a high demand for those elements like people who have a whole tank full of SPS. But I notice that my calcium is always around 380ppm, just from standard weekly water changes. So if I understand correctly, if I am keeping up with weekly water changes with a good quality salt mix, wouldn't I not need to ever add two part supplements etc? If I am adding those elements in water changes every week, wouldn't that be a more efficient way? fill me in if I am missing something

Thanks

bertoni
12/26/2009, 06:58 PM
Most tanks consume far more calcium than can be supplied with water changes, although a very high calcium salt would help. Also, alkalinity drops more rapidly (percentage-wise) than calcium, so that's more critical. This article might help:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

nikon187
12/26/2009, 07:10 PM
I would also shoot for a calcium of 420-450 for hard corals

Playa-1
12/26/2009, 09:01 PM
As long as your parameters are in line with regular water changes then you don't need to supplement. When the regular water changes don't cut it anymore, then you will need to begin a supplement program.

lordofthereef
12/26/2009, 11:28 PM
as long as your parameters are in line with regular water changes then you don't need to supplement. When the regular water changes don't cut it anymore, then you will need to begin a supplement program.

+1

Lightsluvr
12/27/2009, 05:58 AM
As long as your parameters are in line with regular water changes then you don't need to supplement. When the regular water changes don't cut it anymore, then you will need to begin a supplement program.

Darn. There I go agreeing with the Playa again! :D

Don't overlook testing for Magnesium, too. Keeping all three in balance is the fun part.

Congrats on the new milli... a good SPS to start with.

LL