PDA

View Full Version : HW marinemix salt

dalston
12/26/2009, 09:58 PM
Anyone used this salt brand before? I usually use IO but my LFS has HW for cheap. Haven't really heard much about the brand before...

tatuvaaj
12/27/2009, 02:44 AM
I've been using hw marinemix professional several years. In my experience it is an excellent salt, at least as good as much more expensive salt mixes like Tropic Marin Pro.

hw recently introduced a new "Reefer" mix with elevated calcium and magnesium concentration. It seems to be work equally well but I don't care much about those "enhanced" Ca/Mg/alk levels so I'll go back to original mix once I run out of "Reefer" ;)

dalston
12/27/2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the response, it is actually the 'reefer' mix that I picked up. It's quite expensive usually here in the US (at least in AZ) but I didn't know if the salt was actually worth the price or it's just because it's imported from Europe... I guess all I can do is give it a try

Subie
12/27/2009, 03:50 PM
After some conversations with Tatu, I started using hw Marinemix Professional (not "reefer"), switching from Seachem Reef Salt. I like it. My corals are doing well - monti's are growing and polyp extension on the zoas are great.

I purchased mine from DFS - on a per gallon price, it's about the same as the regular Tropic Marin.

lbaldrey
02/28/2010, 07:25 AM
I used to be a long time HW user till I tested my ALK at 6dkh...Lamotte Kit. SG 1.025 using a refractometer calibrated with DI water. Test Kit is reliable as I have used it to test IO at acceptable levels of 9 DKH.

I tested the Alk in HW in the make up water and it read a little less than 6 DKH as well...

I suspect a bad batch.

snorvich
02/28/2010, 09:59 AM
I used to be a long time HW user till I tested my ALK at 6dkh...Lamotte Kit. SG 1.025 using a refractometer calibrated with DI water.

You should not use DI/RO water to calibrate a refractometer. Best would be pinpoint solution (1.0264) or check the chemistry forum for DIY.

allsps40
10/18/2010, 03:48 PM
I have used both the reefer and the professional. I liked both alot. I think I will be going back to Reefer.