PDA

View Full Version : Temperature Readings Make No Sense

reidcrandall
12/27/2009, 02:53 PM
For some reason, I am getting this temperature reading from my Apex every day. It is not exactly the same, but it's doing generally the same thing:

http://www.reidcrandall.com/tank/122709/Temperature-12-26-2009.jpg

Obviously the temperature is not dropping to these levels, or everything would be dead. I put another digital thermometer in there and it looks like it's not dropping at all.

The dip coincides with the times that my lights are on.

kenargo
12/27/2009, 03:42 PM
This often indicates that there is some electrical interference. It could be a temp probe going bad but usually that doesn't go up/down like this (but it could). Check to see if there is something that turned on at the same time as the temp drop, if you have float switches check them for shorts that might result in a water connection (you can do this by holding the switch in the opposite state and see if you get a temp drop like above). Lastly, unplug and replug in the temp probe (the contacts self-clean slightly when you do this).

Which controller; there are

RussM
12/27/2009, 03:52 PM
The dip coincides with the times that my lights are on. This does sound like an electromagnetic interference problem. Try re-routing the temp probe cable (repositioning the probe elsewhere if needed) as far away as possible from any main lighting components.

aquamanic
12/27/2009, 05:23 PM
Put the temp probe into a glass of water on your desk if you have to and see if the problem goes away. Like Russ/Ken said, it probably will. If not, then you have a bad probe.