PDA

View Full Version : Apex vs Apex Lite

jimsplace
12/28/2009, 06:32 AM
I am shopping for a controller and have narrowed it down to two suppliers. I am impressed with your product and have read up on your Apex and Apex Lite units and am trying to decide between your product and another suppliers unit. I am little confused on the difference between the Apex and Apex Lite models. There is a $90 difference between the units, but if I am reading the information correctly, the Lite only comes with a temp probe, no PH probe. If I add in the $63 for a PH probe, I'm within $25 of the full blown Apex model. Quite frankly I am a little supprised/disappointed that the unit would not come with both probes, after all temp and PH are two of the main displays virtually everyone would expect to have on their controller. It's boiling down to about a $50 dollar difference between the two units I am comparing.

Am I correct that the Lite only comes with one temp probe and the PH probe needs to be purchased seprately?

What other features are on the Apex that are not on the Lite?

Thanks in advance for your comments, Jim

RussM
12/28/2009, 10:12 AM
There are two differences of note between the the Apex & Apex Lite:

Lite does not have VariableSpeed ports - for controlling Tunze pumps or 0-10VDC-dimmable lighting
Lite does not have an ORP port on the base unit

The base Apex system, including a standard pH probe is $499.95
The base Apex Lite system @$369.95 does not include a pH probe, but if you add one into the order when you buy an Apex Lite, the probe is only $40, so the total comes to $410.90... accordingly, when you compare similarly-equipped systems, the difference is about $90, not $25.

kenargo
12/28/2009, 10:15 AM
Yes, you are correct; the Lite does not come with a PH nor ORP probe (temp probe is included).

The Lite supports 1 probe (PH OR ORP) so rather than have different packages with different probe options there are none included and you would purchase the one you want. The Apex supports 2 probes and comes with a PH probe but you would still need to purchase whatever second probe you wanted.

Main differences between the units:

Lite: supports temperature + 1 probe (PH or ORP)

Apex supports temperature + 2 probes (1 PH + 1 PH or ORP); variable speed ports for Tunze or light control (for lights that support 0-10 v interfaces).

Other than above both are identical; memory, expandability, network ready, etc.

herozero
12/28/2009, 12:18 PM
i'd be curious where you've seen the apex lite for sale, i haven't seen any with product available.

justins13
12/28/2009, 12:34 PM
I talked to a rep at neptune they are starting to ship the lites and they are available through their website.

herozero
12/28/2009, 12:49 PM
you just saved me from starting a new thread. thanks :)

personally, my orp probe has been useless on my ac3. if i were in the market now i would be all over an apex lite.

James77
12/28/2009, 04:09 PM
you just saved me from starting a new thread. thanks :)

personally, my orp probe has been useless on my ac3. if i were in the market now i would be all over an apex lite.

Keep in mind the 2nd pH probe on the Apex can be used as an additional pH- great if you have a calcium reactor.

herozero
12/28/2009, 04:11 PM
Keep in mind the 2nd pH probe on the Apex can be used as an additional pH- great if you have a calcium reactor.

i really wish i needed the second probe pH probe for a reactor :lmao:

JonnyD91
12/28/2009, 10:40 PM
Will the apex lite be able to control the vortech when that functionality comes out? I dont need the tunz or extra probe, but i would like the vortech function when its available.

kenargo
12/28/2009, 10:46 PM
Yes, modules will be able to connect to any Apex variant.

Note: If in the future you need an additional probe you would be able to add a PM modules and add support for one.

JonnyD91
12/28/2009, 10:55 PM
ok, maybe i can ask this here instead of opening a new thread.

What exactly can you do with XML? Is there an open sdk or api for the apex if i wanted to create my own software?

DozerDozer
09/10/2012, 05:51 PM
This is an old thread but I have a few questions. Can my vortech mp10w connect to apex without the wxm module and be able to use the special modes like lagoon or reef crest mode? Or do I need to buy the extra wxm module to use those functions? I'm also wondering if my IM 92watt tablet dual spectrum led light is dimmable using the 0-10v apex controller. It matters which variable speed port I would use or if I need that function at all. Should my LED ballast give info on if it is dimmable? I'm setting up a new 38gallon nano reef tank and I have decided on the apex but not sure which version and what add-ons I will need.