PDA

View Full Version : Another Halide vs T5 Question...

MadBeach79
12/28/2009, 09:18 AM
Sorry I know there are about a thousand of threads regarding this, but I am about to upgrade to a standard 180g, I am going to keep sps but I have always used MH's since I can remember, I am debating whether to build out a canopy and use Lumenmax Elite reflectors for the 180, I was thinking 3 250w 20k Radiums on Coralvue ballasts, but I was also looking at this fixture: http://www.aquacave.com/72-12x39w-nova-extremebr-pro-t5ho-3x10k3x460nmbr-actinics-by-current-usabr1082-1991.html

Do you think this light would be enough to keep sps alive, happy and growing?

I already own a 1/3 hp chiller which I was going to use on the upgrade, please let me know what your opinions are.

Thanks in advance,
MadBeach79

werdlone
12/28/2009, 09:26 AM
I'm biased, but I would much rather change 3 bulbs yearly, instead of 12. I think you can get great options for coloration with t5, but think you get better growth for sps with metal halide and I love the color with radiums. I'd go with MH.

MadBeach79
12/28/2009, 11:03 AM
I'm biased, but I would much rather change 3 bulbs yearly, instead of 12. I think you can get great options for coloration with t5, but think you get better growth for sps with metal halide and I love the color with radiums. I'd go with MH.

Werdlone, I'm partially biased as well, but willing to try out new stuff, specially if it saves me a few bucks here and there (initial cost and electricity).

Anyone else?