PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, tbs!

FDNY
12/28/2009, 12:27 PM
TBS is the one!

When I contacted Richard in early December and purchased a “package” for a 180-gallon tank, I never imagined that I was purchasing not just live rock, but an ocean of life. TBS’ live rock is AMAZING!

I live 90 miles south of Tampa Bay so I personally picked up the rock, sand and critters (in two trips). The packaging is unbelievable. Richard packs in double, super-heavy duty bags, then puts them into insulated containers, then into heavy cardboard boxes. Everything is separately packed -- no mixing species, no cramming things together. OUTSTANDING!

I couldn’t describe all of the critters and other life he supplied, not to mention the hitchhikers, but I’ll try.

Several unexpected surprises (hitchhikers) included shrimps and yes, even a GOBY! Don't ask me how he made it, but there’s a 1½-inch Goby darting about the rocks and loving the ‘caves’ I created with the rocks.

Also supplied by Richard were condylactis anemones, a Long-spined black sea urchin, another pink (pincushion??) urchin, hermits, snails, three brittle stars, many sponges all over the rocks, some corals, plant life, and yeah, a few of those undesirable gorilla crab hitchhikers which I’ve been trapping and removing.

I had 360 pounds of live rock and only a single sponge died -- amazing! I’m using digital meters for testing and between the live sand and live rock, the ammonia spiked for just one day and then quickly dropped back to zero, where it’s been for several weeks. And I know the ammonia and nitrites are correctly reading because that Goby is just fine. The biologicals with the live rock and live sand really went to work quickly!

I do a 25-gallon water change weekly.

Everything in the tank is flourishing and looks terrific. To be safe, I’m waiting a few more weeks to be sure the parameters remain stable before slowly adding fish, but this experience taught me that TAMPA BAY SALTWATER IS THE BEST!

As I wrote, I don’t have any fish yet (except for that Goby) but I nevertheless stare into the tank for hours every day. There’s so much life, and everything seems to be moving.

I came to Richard on a friend’s recommendation and can without reservation do the same: recommend Tampa Bay Saltwater as THE place to go for exceptional and unique material.

Thank you Richard for a wonderful setup that I know I’ll continue to enjoy.

Mangodude
12/28/2009, 06:07 PM
Can you post pics? Seems like everybody on here loves them!

Sounds like your FOWLR will not be one for very long! With all the coral and sponges on Richard's rock its hard not to have a reef tank!

FDNY
12/28/2009, 06:21 PM
I'm working on the photos. I have an older digital camera and the blue spectrum in he lighting overwhelms the CCD sensor and renders all my photos very bluish. The light balance doesn't cover the range I need, so for now I can't do justice to the photos. I'll keep trying.

And yeah, you're right for sure, FOWLR will probably become reef due to the huge amount of varying life in the tank.

liverock
12/29/2009, 08:18 AM
TBS is the one!

When I contacted Richard in early December and purchased a “package” for a 180-gallon tank, I never imagined that I was purchasing not just live rock, but an ocean of life. TBS’ live rock is AMAZING!

I live 90 miles south of Tampa Bay so I personally picked up the rock, sand and critters (in two trips). The packaging is unbelievable. Richard packs in double, super-heavy duty bags, then puts them into insulated containers, then into heavy cardboard boxes. Everything is separately packed -- no mixing species, no cramming things together. OUTSTANDING!

I couldn’t describe all of the critters and other life he supplied, not to mention the hitchhikers, but I’ll try.

Several unexpected surprises (hitchhikers) included shrimps and yes, even a GOBY! Don't ask me how he made it, but there’s a 1½-inch Goby darting about the rocks and loving the ‘caves’ I created with the rocks.

Also supplied by Richard were condylactis anemones, a Long-spined black sea urchin, another pink (pincushion??) urchin, hermits, snails, three brittle stars, many sponges all over the rocks, some corals, plant life, and yeah, a few of those undesirable gorilla crab hitchhikers which I’ve been trapping and removing.

I had 360 pounds of live rock and only a single sponge died -- amazing! I’m using digital meters for testing and between the live sand and live rock, the ammonia spiked for just one day and then quickly dropped back to zero, where it’s been for several weeks. And I know the ammonia and nitrites are correctly reading because that Goby is just fine. The biologicals with the live rock and live sand really went to work quickly!

I do a 25-gallon water change weekly.

Everything in the tank is flourishing and looks terrific. To be safe, I’m waiting a few more weeks to be sure the parameters remain stable before slowly adding fish, but this experience taught me that TAMPA BAY SALTWATER IS THE BEST!

As I wrote, I don’t have any fish yet (except for that Goby) but I nevertheless stare into the tank for hours every day. There’s so much life, and everything seems to be moving.

I came to Richard on a friend’s recommendation and can without reservation do the same: recommend Tampa Bay Saltwater as THE place to go for exceptional and unique material.

Thank you Richard for a wonderful setup that I know I’ll continue to enjoy.

Hi Ed

Was a pleasure fixing you up!
I really like to do big tanks for my peeps.....as I had a 210 for years until it decided to spit a seam while I was in the Keys......

Nice job on the aquascaping....and good job on cycling the big guy!

keep us posted!

sea ya
Richard TBS:lolspin::lolspin::lolspin: