PDA

View Full Version : RO membrane flushing

jon1985
12/28/2009, 05:12 PM
hello,
Jut bought an RODI unit and was told I need to flush the new membrane and that there would be instructions inside. When I got home there where no instructions.

Does anyone know how to flush the RO membrane?

sedor
12/28/2009, 05:23 PM
I "think" that flushing the membrane simply means running 5G RODI water through the filter and then tossing that water. We had this topic come up in Buckeyes sponsor thread the other day and they mentioned nothing specific about how to flush the system. One person said something about having two valves on the sides of the membrane, but i've never seen anything like that on mine. I have always just run 5G of water when I replace filters and have never had any problems.

jon1985
12/28/2009, 05:28 PM
I have 2 valves on the RO membrane. One black and a second to flush.

Mako
12/28/2009, 06:50 PM
Normally, flushing the membrane involves running water at full pressure over the membrane to dis lodge foreign contaminants that may have taken up residence. This involves just bypassing your flow restrictor for a min. or two. Most people do this by installing a couple of JG "y" fittings and a JG 1/4" ball valve.

Usually, when people replace the carbon or DI filters they dispose of the first few gallons so any fines from the new cartridges are not put into their system.

RokleM
12/29/2009, 08:08 AM
Contact or list the manufacture. RO/DI's can be plumbed numerous ways, including the flush (if it's included). Any advice we give you could just be guesses or inaccurate without further information.

Buckeye Hydro
12/29/2009, 11:54 PM
With a new membrane - just run the system normally (w/o) the di resin stage installed. Don't open the flush valve to flush a new membrane.

Was the membrane shipped to you wet or dry? What brand of membrane?

Russ