PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning glass alot

Jared J
12/28/2009, 05:39 PM
Anyone else clean the glass more than 2 times a day? I cleaned the glass this morning before going to work and when I came home the front was completely green, you couldnt even see through it. Water tests are ok, lights are newer than 3 months old, skimmer is pulling crap out like crazy. I o n ly feed Mon-Wed-Fri, the other days only get algae sheets.
pH 8.3
alk 8
amm 0
NO2 0
NO3 5-10 at the moment
Ca 375
Mg 1650

I did raise MG a bit and it helped kill off the hair algae but what's left is brown stringy junk. I have a clump of chaeto in the sump with 5100k over it growing like crazy. Any ideas?

Nereaga
12/28/2009, 05:55 PM
Get that no3 down should help a lot. I clean my glass every 2-3 days.

Brad

100%hydrophylic
12/28/2009, 06:13 PM
might be the algae sheets

tufacody
12/28/2009, 07:01 PM
Might be a sign to replace bulbs. I usually go 6 days w/o the need for a cleaning so long as my bulbs are new. Despite the Solaris issues, the focused light does great job on cutting down glass alage. On my halide systems, switching to 14k also helped a lot.

Felix T Cat
12/28/2009, 07:04 PM
High Phosphates ?

Russter
12/28/2009, 07:35 PM
What kind of water do you use?

username in use
12/28/2009, 07:36 PM
You could start running some chaeto on a reverse light cycle, that would help some. Do you leave the nori in all day? How much do you feed on the 3 days, and how much/how do you do it?

Neoz
12/28/2009, 07:43 PM
I had that problem as well. I since changed my reflectors and they focus my light more down into the tank. My old reflectors were semi rounded allowing the light to hit the glass more. Since going to these reflectors all or most of my light is focused further down in the tank.

Side note how long do you run your lights per day?

Jared J
12/28/2009, 11:02 PM
It kinda just started all of a sudden. Before, I went 4-5 days without cleaning the glass. Phos isn't really detectable, I use RO/DI with recently changed filters, TDS meter still reads 0. I feed M-W-F only enough that they eat in a few minutes. Actinics are only on from 11-7 and the halide from 12:30-5:30.

AMDphenomx4
12/28/2009, 11:31 PM
Do some 20% water changes and cut feeding slightly and see if it helps. As noted often, the algae is using the nutrients. On my 180G i had that problem until i started vodka dosing a few months ago. Now i clean the glass once every 4-5 days.

NYC/NJREEFS
12/29/2009, 12:35 AM
If you look at my thread "Green Algae Problem" I have exactly the same problem. My bulbs are new approx 2wks old, skimmer pulling green/brownish gunk and still have a problem. Like you stated I have to clean everyday and by the nite its covered in a green film that when I clean off seems to be a powdery substance. I just ordered TLF Phosban media to replace in my reactor. I was looking at the Midwest Aquatic nitrate reactor but am waiting for advise on it. Good luck & lmk if you figure out your problem.

chumm
12/29/2009, 12:41 AM
water change...phosban...clean protein skimmer????

Jared J
12/29/2009, 09:54 AM
water change...phosban...clean protein skimmer????

I do weekly 10% water changes, don't have a phos reactor yet, and clean the skimmer cup daily, skimmer monthly.

dcombs44
12/29/2009, 09:58 AM
If it comes off like a "powdery" substance as someone noted, it may be diatoms. What substrate are you using? Some water sources or substrates can be very high in silicates which can cause diatom blooms.

I used to use Miracle Mud as a sump substrate and had frequent diatom blooms for 4 years in my tank. I later found out that Miracle Mud is very high in silicates. If I understand correctly, many of the pods and critters in your tank will feed on the diatoms, so it'll help them flourish, but it is a pain and an eyesore in the tank.

lordofthereef
12/29/2009, 10:25 AM
I also go about 3-5 days between cleaning, sometimes more. Were you exaggerating just a bit when you said that a half days og growth made it so you couldn't see through the glass? That just seems WAY over the top.

scott473
12/29/2009, 11:46 AM
There are times I can go 4 or 5 days, then there are days I cant go 4 or 5 hours. The corals in my tank grow great, so I'm confused. lol

Burkette
12/29/2009, 12:03 PM
Mag Float, algae scrbber, and some wet forearms will take care of that, no problem. Jk. I have the same issue, and I have been doing 20% water changes every week or two ( I also have a very light bio load, so any more is overkill) I cut down feedings, got 3 emerald crabs, and a ginormous algae blenny, and the green stuff seems to be going away. I figured that they (crabs and blenny) would take it off the rocks, and I'd still have to clean the glass, but I have also been scrubbing the tanks immediatly before the water change, so as to get as much of the algae out as I can during the water change. A month later now, and the green stuff is going away, slowly but surely. Also, I added 1 bag of phos sorb in the sump, right where the durso comes into it. This has significantly cut down on the diatoms, which will do what you said. I would clen them off the glass in the morning, and by the evening, it would be so thick, I couldnt see. again, when you do the water change, scrb that crap off, get it in the water, then get the water out...It's helpd my tank tremendously. Just my .02 though.
J

Jared J
12/29/2009, 02:57 PM
I also go about 3-5 days between cleaning, sometimes more. Were you exaggerating just a bit when you said that a half days og growth made it so you couldn't see through the glass? That just seems WAY over the top.

Nope. I cleaned the glass at about 8am because I saw that it was foggy looking. Came home around 4:45pm and the lights were on and the whole front glass looked painted green.