PDA

View Full Version : protein skimmer for Biocube 14

Gregr5766
12/28/2009, 07:02 PM
Does anyone know of a good protein skimmer that will fit in the center chanber of the Biocube 14. I bought the unit that Oceanic makes and it did not work at all. I have heard the Red Sea Prism will work, but it appears to be a hang on style. Any help would be appreciated

Daimyo68
12/28/2009, 10:20 PM
Most will say, as I will, not to even bother with the skimmer. Make sure to do your weekly water changes and that will keep the tank in check (as long as your not overfeeding, lighting is good, etc).

Are you having an issue with the tank?

Flipper62
12/29/2009, 02:58 AM
Most will say, as I will, not to even bother with the skimmer. Make sure to do your weekly water changes and that will keep the tank in check (as long as your not overfeeding, lighting is good, etc).

Are you having an issue with the tank?

IMO.....you are right on the money.

Here is my post to the same question asked earlier..

On a Small nano tank like a BioCube.....if you do 10% weekly water changes or 20% every 2 weeks, There is really no need for a skimmer. The water changes will take care of the little bit that is there.

The Idea behind a BioCube is to be a " all in one tank ". Keep it simple. Everyone wants to turn a Nano tank into a Big production.....with a skimmer....a refuge....ect. Thats not what they were designed for.

If thats what you really want, IMO.... just buy a regular 30 gallon tank and add the Refuge & skimmer. It will be cheeper.

Happy Reefin :thumbsup:

6-line
12/29/2009, 07:03 AM
IMO if you're really wanting to add a skimmer, get the $40 Biocube skimmer. I use it and it always puts out green liquid and scum in the resevoir despite what others say. But I agree about the tank and keping it simple but this skimmer fits easily in the first chamber, it's quiet and unobtrusive and won't junk up the all in one streamiline look of the cube. I do 1.5 gallon a week changes as well but I like the added comfort of the skimmer. Don't pour out $150 plus for something to skim a 14 gallon tank....

mattskims
12/29/2009, 08:03 AM
I bought the unit that Oceanic makes and it did not work at all...

IMO if you're really wanting to add a skimmer, get the $40 Biocube skimmer....

Don't think the Biocube skimmer is what the OP is looking for per the first post.

I would forget a skimmer, as everyone else has said, water changes will take care of everything. If you still want to add something, make the middle chamber a mini fuge.

6-line
12/29/2009, 10:55 AM
doh--I see that now, guess i should of been more thorough. That said, I still find that the biocube skimmer does work...for $40 bucks and something that fits in a chamber and doesn't require another heat producing pump--what do you expect?

stryker131
10/09/2012, 01:03 PM
All the skimmer bashing aside (he didn't ask that either) what skimmers are available that will fit in the rear of a biocube?

napier02
05/08/2014, 02:59 PM
I use a cpr backpack with a mj900 on mine. it works great. Just turn the output 90 degrees to output into the second chamber so that you don't get as many micro bubbles in the tank. Also you can put macro into the backpack and put a light on it.

OC CJ
05/09/2014, 10:28 PM
I know everyone says you don't need a skimmer but I can't ignore the fact that my eshoppes nano skimmer does pull some nasty stuff out of my nuvo 16.

I do have a boyu and aquaticlife 115 skimmer for sale in the general forum. Don't qoute me but i believe both would fit.

zgg01
05/11/2014, 08:32 AM
IMO if you're really wanting to add a skimmer, get the $40 Biocube skimmer. I use it and it always puts out green liquid and scum in the resevoir despite what others say. But I agree about the tank and keping it simple but this skimmer fits easily in the first chamber, it's quiet and unobtrusive and won't junk up the all in one streamiline look of the cube. I do 1.5 gallon a week changes as well but I like the added comfort of the skimmer. Don't pour out $150 plus for something to skim a 14 gallon tank....

I agree my skimmer pulls some nasty stuff out of my 10 gallon i have a boyu wg-308 and works magic