PDA

View Full Version : Question: Are metals like stainless steel an issue in my tank?

JShearer83
12/29/2009, 09:34 AM
So I superglued a magnet to my powerhead in my DT so it will hold against the glass and the magnet has a stainless steel (i think) disk on it. I didn't think much of it but now I am wondering if there are any corrosion issues or anything else I need to be concerned about.

And what about using super glue? Is that ok, I was told it was but I would like to hear other opinions?

Thanks for any advice.

tkeracer619
12/29/2009, 09:37 AM
Superglue is fine. Stainless is fine.

Now the real question. Is the metal stainless? You will find out soon enough.

Jared J
12/29/2009, 09:42 AM
The chlorides in the tank will eventually pit the stainless and cause rust, but the stainless itself will not leach anything into the tank. The time it will take to rust will depend on the quality of the stainless. Pretty much the only metal that is harmless in saltwater is titanium. You won't see any stainless steel heaters or chiller coils used for saltwater, only fresh.

FYI, here in the salty beach environment new building code for disconnect boxes on commercial rooftops is for stainless steel to be used, not because they won't rust but because they will take longer to rust than steel boxes.

ChrisOz
12/29/2009, 09:42 AM
All metal will slowly corrode in saltwater over time, it just depends how slowly. If you'll notice, not much of anything we put in our reef tanks consists of metal parts (minus some pump shafts) and when we leave reflectors unattended-to for too long, well, they get messy.

Super glue is okay as long as it's the cyanoacrylate type. Also, I'd use the gel, or I suppose you could use the liquid were you to give it a sufficient curing time out of water.

LargeAngels
12/29/2009, 09:48 AM
For saltwater SS316 or higher should be used.

JShearer83
12/29/2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the advice.

Are there any fish health and water chemistry concerns with corrosion and rust?

I don't have any corals...fish only tank with macro algae

Jared J
12/29/2009, 10:01 AM
Heavy metals are toxic to fish as well as invertebrates. I would stay away from any metal in the tank. There are magnets that are epoxy coated that can be used.

90GalFOWLR
12/29/2009, 10:02 AM
I have one stainless hose clamp in my system and was wondering the same thing, I guess I'll keep an eye on it and replace it when needed.

Frick-n-Frags
12/29/2009, 11:26 AM
there are many grades of stainless, for many applications.
some stainless is durable in saltwater. it is expensive, brittle and hard to mill too.
this cheap stamped stainless used in most everything we have access to IS cheap and will rust. i quit messing with metal hose clamps. they all rot eventually.

SO..keep all the metal out of your tank is a good rule to follow, unless it is titanium and specifically for saltwater.
a few bits of iron or whatever other metals are in that particular alloy probably wont be toxic, but you dont really know unless you know the grade of stainless and its composition.