PDA

View Full Version : Goniopora Coral Question

bassking16
12/29/2009, 09:40 AM
Hi All,

Need a little advice on this one. I just recently upgraded the lights on my 75g from 4x54w T5 up to MH/T5 combo unit. I have had my Goni for about 6 months now, and it seems to be pretty healthy. (Yes, I have heard all the horror stories about this coral) Anyway, it was originally placed about half way up my rock work, and it used to open up real full and nice with my old T5's. However, since upgrading about a month ago, it does not open up near as far anymore, so I am thinking that the new lights are too strong, and I need to move the coral down towards the bottom.

Here is the problem... My Goni has grown some kind of a foot and has attached to the rock that it is sitting on. Similar to that of an Anemone. I can't move the whole rock, so how do I get it to realease it's grip without hurting the coral? Is it normal for a Goni to attach like this?

Please let me know what you all think.
ThankYou.

Capt_Cully
12/29/2009, 09:51 AM
You could try shortening the photoperiod of you MH's or try to shade the Goni. Increase it's exposure slowly every few days or weeks. See if that helps. If you're having success with one, I'd try everything I could to keep from p*ssing it off. :thumbsup:

Any pics of it?

dcombs44
12/29/2009, 10:01 AM
Agreed. You will need to slowly let the coral adapt to the lighting change. Many people will use sheets of window screen or eggcrate to do this.

Use multiple layers over the tank, and remove a sheet every 2 days or so to slowly increase the amount of light filtering through to the tank.

noahm
12/29/2009, 11:23 AM
Sounds like it may just not be 'reaching' for the light as it did before. Without pics, it would be hard to tell, but a lot of polyps that extend up, will shorten under brighter light. Acclimation is important, but it may not ever extend as far under the current light scheme.

Shane Hoffman
12/29/2009, 12:02 PM
The Goniporas dont necessarrily "attach" with a foot to the rock. They have a calcium carbonate skeleton for a base. The base has simply bonded itself with the rock. Its almost as if the two rocks have merged into one. You can take a butter knife (in your situation this would be your best tool. And wedge it under the Gonis foot to pry it off. The base is very tough, be careful not to damage the flesh and try to do it under water.

bassking16
12/29/2009, 01:51 PM
Well, when I tried moving my Goni before I new it was attached to the rock, it was flexible, but deffinetly stuck to the rock. When I looked under the coral I could see a resemblance of a foot that is about 5/8 inch around, and stretches about 1/2 inch to the nearest rock surface. I would think that if it was a link made from calcium deposits, it would be hard and brittle, right?

Unfortunately, my wife is out of town right now, and took my laptop with her.:rolleye1: So I have no way of posting any pics right now. As soon as I get it back, I will post some before and after pictures of the coral as far as the lighting goes, and will also post a picture of this "foot" that I am talking about.

Thank you for all the replies though.
Bassking