PDA

View Full Version : SPS Frag Placement

bassking16
12/29/2009, 11:27 AM
Hi All,
Christmas was good to me this year, and I got a really nice frag pack. I am pretty new to the whole SPS thing, so I was wondering about placement in my aquarium. I've done alot of research, and from my understanding, the first four listed below should be placed high with strong flow, and the rest should be placed about midway with moderate flow. Please let me know what you think.

Pink Birdsnest
Green Birdsnest
Blue Acro
Blue/Green Acro
Green Digi
Peach Digi
Light Blue Digi
Orange Polyp Digi
Purple Monti Cap
Green Monti Cap
Orange Monti Cap

Please let me know what you all think. These frags are in a standard 75G tank. I have a good amount of flow up high, and a little less down lower. Later this week, I will be repllacing my old Maxijets with 2x Hydor Kor. 4 power heads. I am running 2x 250 MH's and 4x54w T5 HO's in a combo unit. The lights are about 10 inches from the water surface. I know that is alot of light for a 75, so I don't want to burn out any of my new frags. After acclimating them, I currently have the two Acro's and the two Birdsnests up as high as possible with pretty strong flow, and the rest are about mid way up on the rocks. So far all seem to have good polyp extension, but they have only been in my tank for a litte over a week now.

I will try to get some pictures up when I get home from work today.

7Dragons7
12/29/2009, 11:36 AM
with those light on a 75 I would think you could put the frags at any level. You will also want to light acclimate them from the bottom of your tank and then move them higher after a week or so. The added flow will also help with putting them at any high.

bassking16
12/29/2009, 01:56 PM
Hello Again,

Unfortunately my wife took my laptop with her on vacation :rolleye1: so I have no way of posting any pics right now. However, I will as soon as I get my laptop back.

I figured that with my lights, I should be okay placing them anywhere in the tank, but I just want to make sure that the Acro's and Birdsnests aren't too high. The Pink Birdsnest is the closest to the lights sitting at about 12 inches below the lights, and the two Acros, and Green Birdsnest are about 14 inches below the lights. Do you think this will be okay, or is that too much light for any of these four.

Thanks Again,
Bassking

Laddy
12/29/2009, 05:50 PM
On average, the general consensus, is to place your acroporas up top which has more flow and more lux, followed by your montiopora somewhere in the middle, with your lower light required SPS/LPS towards the bottom.

However, this is all predicated on your lighting scheme and watermovement in the tank.

You certainly have the lights to keep 99% of the popular corals out there, but I'm not sure about water movement and perimeters. I would recommend starting them down midrange, with a normal lighting schedule, and then move them towards the surface once they acclimate.

Good luck.