PDA

View Full Version : Dosing Calcium??

Reefer2727
12/29/2009, 01:54 PM
I am going to be putting a GFO reactor on my 100 gallon system to help with some phosphates. I was just reading that a GFO reactor tends to reduce alkalinity.

Now I haven't dosed anything yet as I am still new to all this. I currently just have some softies which don't require much. My tank has been running for 4 months. I have been debating dosing calcium for a while as I would like to get into some LPS. I have also read that when dosing calcium you need to keep a close eye on alkalinity and magnesium. Anyway, I think I would just start by using a product such as Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium powder.

Questions are: Will running a GFO reactor necessitate dosing to keep my alkalinity in check? Will dosing some powdered calcium keep my alkalinity levels ok? Should I worry about magnesium? My current calcium level is about 300. I will be switching from Instant Ocean salt to Reef Crystals which will help a little. But I would like to see my calcium closer to 400.

Thanks

jparadise
12/29/2009, 01:58 PM
I would look into B-ionic 2 part. My alkalinity and calcium has started to fall after adding multiple corals. I now use this 2 part and everything is back to PAR levels

Shane Hoffman
12/29/2009, 02:00 PM
Phosphate reactors dont affect my calcium at all that I know of. I wouldnt recommend dosing something because you think something else affects it.

You need to purchase calcium, alkilinity, and magnesium test kits. Only dose after a test tells you something is off. Also If you keep up on your water changes I would think you wouldnt have to dose much if any at all if you only have softies and a few lps...

Your calcium is pretty low right now. Once you get it up the REEF CRYSTALS should help you maintain a higher level as long as you do regualr water changes. I use reef crystals and it always tests at well above 400 for calcium.

pecdo
12/29/2009, 02:08 PM
i have not noticed a change in alk with gfo, but probably would not have on my system. Adding calcium will not directly change your alk, but increase your calcium. alk is related to carbonate levels and is adjusted by adding that (the second part of two part).

Reefer2727
12/29/2009, 02:21 PM
My calcium is low at 300. It is sort of surprising because I do regular water changes and as I mentioned I dont have any in the tank that would be sucking up the calcium. Hopefully the reef crystals will make a difference for me.

Shane, you mentioned once you get it up...do you think I need to dose some to get it up? Or are you saying that the Reef Crystals will get it close to 400?

Thanks

Chris27
12/29/2009, 03:44 PM
Picking up some test kits is definitely the best advice one can give. Blind dosing following instructions on a bottle can only lead to disaster. Knowing your Calcium, Alk and Mag levels on a daily basis will help you determine what needs to be dosed daily for everything to stay happy and healthy. While you may only have a few small corals, your aquarium will benefit from a proper ratio of the three. Coraline algae will sure start to take off when everything is in check, and in the event you start coming home from the LFS with some new LPS or SPS frags, you'll be ready for them!

As for the GFO, I can't figure how it would lead to any measurable amount of carbonate loss, anybody who has corals runs it for good reason. My Alk is rock solid with only a small dose of Tropic Marin Bio Calcium daily, so I can't say that GFO has any effect other then my phosphates remain undetectable on my cheap little test kit.

dudley moray
12/29/2009, 03:54 PM
reef builder is for alk

DJREEF
12/29/2009, 03:58 PM
Phosphate reactors dont affect my calcium at all that I know of. I wouldnt recommend dosing something because you think something else affects it.

You need to purchase calcium, alkilinity, and magnesium test kits. Only dose after a test tells you something is off. Also If you keep up on your water changes I would think you wouldnt have to dose much if any at all if you only have softies and a few lps...

Your calcium is pretty low right now. Once you get it up the REEF CRYSTALS should help you maintain a higher level as long as you do regualr water changes. I use reef crystals and it always tests at well above 400 for calcium.

Absolutely - and add to that a pH meter prob wouldn't b a bad idea, either. Don't dose if u don't know.

DJ

Reefer2727
12/29/2009, 07:30 PM
I have a pH probe and my pH seems go between 8.00-8.10. I have a test kit for Calcium and as I had said my calcium is around 300. So I have tested and realized that I should dose calcium in some form. Before I do, I will make sure that I have test kits for alkalinity and magnesium.

I have talked to a few people at a LFS who have said that if I dose a little for Calcium I really shouldn`t worry about Alk or magnesium. See I dont want to set up a dosing pump. I just want to get my calcium up to around 400 and hopefully regular water changes will keep it in that range as Shane had mentioned. I am just keeping some softies and perhaps some LPS down the road once I get my levels stable.

Is there a good 2 part that can be dosed on occasion that doesn`t need a dosing pump and fancy set up.

DJREEF
12/29/2009, 07:52 PM
I have a pH probe and my pH seems go between 8.00-8.10. I have a test kit for Calcium and as I had said my calcium is around 300. So I have tested and realized that I should dose calcium in some form. Before I do, I will make sure that I have test kits for alkalinity and magnesium.

I have talked to a few people at a LFS who have said that if I dose a little for Calcium I really shouldn`t worry about Alk or magnesium. See I dont want to set up a dosing pump. I just want to get my calcium up to around 400 and hopefully regular water changes will keep it in that range as Shane had mentioned. I am just keeping some softies and perhaps some LPS down the road once I get my levels stable.

Is there a good 2 part that can be dosed on occasion that doesn`t need a dosing pump and fancy set up.

You should be able to do that no problem dosing kalk. Just do a search. With your bio-load, I'm thinking that doing this once or twice a week with your top off water in the morning should get you where you need to be, given your light load.

DJ