PDA

View Full Version : APEX RSS and XML Support

JonnyD91
12/29/2009, 06:32 PM
Im just about to pull the trigger on one of these. WHat exactly does RSS and XML Support mean? Mostly XML is what im interested in. Do I have any way to create applications using xml streams to get information from the device? I would love to make my own apps for this, but i guess open api's are hard to come by for these devices.

kenargo
12/29/2009, 06:43 PM
RSS stands for "Really Simple Syndication" and is best described as a 'feed' mechanism.

The XML features are for making various information available to developers and it mostly about creating a standard data format. There are many web sites that read and parse the XML for web site population; mine (kenargo.com) does and includes a number of software and web applications that make use of the XML, another that comes to mind is reeftronics.net that also makes use of XML output from the controller to present data; these are 2 examples and by no means are the only ones.

Hope this helps...

JonnyD91
12/29/2009, 06:49 PM
perfect, thats what i want. I am a software developer and i do alot of device programming. Can you send IN xml streams to tell the device to do things or can you only receive information from the device? Is there an API or documentation on this?

kenargo
12/29/2009, 07:09 PM
No, the XML is a read; inputs to tell the Apex to do things can be done using http.Post.

Shock130
12/29/2009, 07:22 PM
I may have to do some reading on this... I am thinking about making my own website just to keep track of my tank and what not. I just finished 2 HTML classes, and picked up on that pretty quick, just want to keep up with the fun and play around some more and learn.

kenargo
12/29/2009, 07:24 PM
Take a look at the ones I mentioned; they both read the XML and do stuff with it. There is also much PHP code if you search the forum showing various example to parse the XML to do interesting things. PHP is really the better way to go...

Shock130
12/29/2009, 07:26 PM
Well I plan on using your website Ken once I get my Apex, because well, im sure I will not be able to make something as good for my own page. and having a mobile version for my phone is very important But I like to tinker around with stuff, and figure out how it works.

Shock130
12/29/2009, 07:34 PM
I now see why you know all of this, that small software company in Redmond... lol

kenargo
12/29/2009, 07:51 PM
I now see why you know all of this, that small software company in Redmond... lol

You like that; a private joke amongs friends ...:lol2:

JonnyD91
12/29/2009, 08:04 PM
Ken, is documentation on the different xml tags from neptune? or are you on your own trying to figure it out? I will most likely make a windows based application, not web. I already have code to parse xml and post requests, this should be fun, i think i can do some cool stuff with this.

RussM
12/29/2009, 09:50 PM
The XML is really simple, and logically formatted... just examine the various XML files available, and I'm sure you'll be able to make sense of it.