PDA

View Full Version : Moving a 75g Reef setup

Ben10
12/29/2009, 07:53 PM
I just bought an awesome setup from someone retiring from SW fish keeping.
This tank is a show tank, it has atleast 100lbs of lr and roughly 40 different corals. A copper band butterfly, 2 wrasses, 3 green chromis.

Should I save all the water?
Should I reuse the sand?

I ask because:
1. I am a newb
2. I already tried moving a 47g a couple weeks ago and lost a few fish.
(I suspect I would not have lost anything had I moved the fishes to another mature tank)

comments, tips?

Thanks

lougotzz
12/29/2009, 08:10 PM
Save the water. IDK old the sand is, but youre probably better off using new sand or washing it out real well.

hogben
12/29/2009, 08:24 PM
When I moved my 75 I took the opportunity to switch to bare bottom. You may not want to do this for personal reasons or because some inhabitants require the sand.

A mature sandbed is going to be pretty nasty when stirred up. I agree, new sand seeded with some of the old might be a better way to go. Like 75% new sand and 25% old.

I use just enough of the old water to hold the rocks and livestock in rubbermaids temporarily (with heaters and powerheads) while I setup the tank in the new location.

I use some of the old water and new water. When the tank is stable I moved in rocks, coral, and fish last. It takes about a day with some help.

bglegs
12/30/2009, 05:52 AM
When I moved my 75 I took the opportunity to switch to bare bottom. You may not want to do this for personal reasons or because some inhabitants require the sand.

A mature sandbed is going to be pretty nasty when stirred up. I agree, new sand seeded with some of the old might be a better way to go. Like 75% new sand and 25% old.

I use just enough of the old water to hold the rocks and livestock in rubbermaids temporarily (with heaters and powerheads) while I setup the tank in the new location.

I use some of the old water and new water. When the tank is stable I moved in rocks, coral, and fish last. It takes about a day with some help.

I agree...