PDA

View Full Version : Neomeris Sp (Catepilliar Weed)

rreed
12/30/2009, 08:04 AM
I have been fighting a battle for a year now with this type of macro. I purchased a piece of liverock and a month later notice 2 small heads that looked like polyps forming. Next thing you know its all over my tank, covered!! And if you try an pluck it from a rock or break a piece it multiplies ten fold. I'm trying to get rid of it completely before I do my last resource which will be taking out liverock and killing it and start over again. Any suggestions, or anyone that has won this battle with this algae.:sad2:

rreed
01/09/2010, 09:28 AM
After doing some research on this algae, an finding that it feeds on calcium. I first cut my calcium down to 220 and have been manually removing rock and cleaning algae off. Rinsing rock in water from a water change and replacing rock back to tank but in reverse to where affected sides get no light.
I'm winning my battle!! Tank has no new growth, an the remaining pieces of the algae are starting to decay away. I'm doing small water changes daily. So far so good.

pledosophy
01/09/2010, 02:23 PM
Sorry I missed your thread, how large is your system and besides the algae and rock, what are you keeping in there currently.

There might be an easier way to do this, depending on your stock.

I know how frustrating unwanted algae outbreaks can be, but if you continue with your persistance, you will be very happy you did later. Just takes dedication. Eye on the prize. Insert any other cheesy saying that will keep you going.

Best of Luck.

rreed
01/09/2010, 07:10 PM
I have a few Stony corals in the tank now along with some zoa's. This stuff go so think in my tank it could smoke the prettiest lawn anywhere. It pretty much crashed my tank an I lost most of my stony's. Could not keep Alk stable it kept bouncing all around an it sucked up all the calcium meant for the corals. The few corals left are what I was able to save and they are doing good now.
The tank is a 34 solana and I have 30 pounds of live rock, bare bottom. Tank is fully automated with doser, ato an so forth.

Actions I'm taking now seem to be working. Time will tell. Wished there was something reef safe that would eat this stuff?