PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about using Purigen

Flavordsm
12/30/2009, 11:31 AM
Hey guys I was thinking about switching my GAC out for purigen for a couple months at a time. I have a few questions on Purigen though.

My first and biggest question is it says it removes nitrogenous waste before it can break down into ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and possibly phosphates. This sounds like a great idea but I was just curious on how that will effect the beneficial bacteria that we waited so long to have colonize in our aquarium by letting it cycle. Won't this starve them out.. and if I have a fully stocked tank and I end up removing purigen would this cause a mini cycle because my bacteria would be starved out to a lower equilibrium? Also, how will it effect my refugium? We put algae and other things in there for the reason of taking out some nutrients so will purigen retard their growth?

The things I like about purigen over GAC is the fact that it can be recharged and it removes DOMs specifically and leaves my trace elements in place. It also is said to last longer than GAC as well.

I also have a question on purigen on if I end up adding some vitamins either it being reef plus/vita chem/selcon .. will it remove them? Won't that make them useless?

The thing that both claim to do is polish the water and remove DOMs. However all DOMs aren't a bad thing to have in your water.

Carbon has its advantages as well.. It has been tested and it is a very old and reliable source of removing DOMs. It also can remove heavy metals in our water column as well as medications.. granted we should not really have a large amount of either of those in our system (that's how I feel anyway)

So this is what I was thinking.. If purigen doesn't have a negative effect on my beneficial bacteria/fuge I was thinking about running it for a couple months at a time and then switching to GAC for a couple weeks for the sole reason of removing any heavy metals that may have accumulated from water changes or other sources.

I will still keep carbon around (I use black diamond) for my quarantine tank or switching it out every few months.

I guess it comes down to would it be better to run purigen and have it effect my beneficial bacteria a little (if it does at all, I'm unsure) and leave my trace elements in place or run GAC and replace it more often (ends up costing more) but it is more aggressive and can/could remove my trace elements.

What do you guys think?

HighlandReefer
12/30/2009, 11:50 AM
Boomer's remarks regarding Purigen. He likes it. :lol:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1693621&highlight=Purigen

bertoni
12/30/2009, 03:59 PM
I would consider using it in addition to GAC, but not as a replacement. Neither of them are going to remove much in the way of trace elements. Iron is the most likely one to be removed (of the ones you want in your tank). Purigen and GAC likely adsorb different problematic chemicals, so the combination is potentially interesting.

Flavordsm
12/30/2009, 09:43 PM
So all in all its a pretty decent product then? Do you think that would work in my situation running it for a couple months then switching to carbon for a few to remove what the purigen cant then switching back?

Does anyone know how it will effect my bacteria? ex; starve them out (somewhat)

bertoni
12/30/2009, 09:58 PM
Neither product will remove much in the way of nutrients, so I don't think that's an issue. I'd rather just run carbon than alternate between the two, but alternation should be okay.

Flavordsm
12/31/2009, 01:00 AM
Ehh.. I'll just stick with my GAC. I'm not feeling festive enough to try this if I know my GAC will be up to par with it. I guess I was just hoping that it would have enough significant advantages over GAC that it would be worth it to do the rotation. Thanks for your opinions guys!

tmz
12/31/2009, 01:12 AM
Organic carbon buildup TOC can be harmful to corals. Both carbon and purigen remove some organic materials. So they remove some potentialy harmful organic carbon sources and the nitrogen and phosphorous that are bound in organic compunds before they break down. They may also remove some alelopathic compunds GAC amd puiigen may have affinities for different organic compounds. I'd go with a quality carbon if I had to choose one but personally I use them both.