PDA

View Full Version : Centropyge Venustus

jhawkor
12/30/2009, 10:42 PM
How often is C. venustus available and how much do they usually go for? Anyone have one?

ccampbell57
12/30/2009, 10:57 PM
They are not often available, but when they are beware that many are not healthy specimen.

I have had this one for around 5 months (around 3")

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj36/ccampbell57/P1010020.jpg
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj36/ccampbell57/P1010025.jpg

jhawkor
12/30/2009, 11:20 PM
In my book Angelfishes of the World he places it in the genus Paracentropyge, do you know why this is? Is the fact that most specimens that make it into the trade die due to decompression?

ccampbell57
12/30/2009, 11:38 PM
The paracentropyge is a sub genus of centropyge. There is a great debate on the differences.

One thing that is common among paracentropyge is that all of them sleep in an inverted position at night under caves.

Ian
12/30/2009, 11:41 PM
Beautiful fish Chris...

ccampbell57
12/31/2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks Ian! His coloration is unreal...sparkles

Ian
12/31/2009, 12:14 AM
I didn't realize how vivid the colors were until I saw that one in person that I was telling you about. Unfortunately it didn't eat while I was there...

Where'd you find that one?

ccampbell57
12/31/2009, 12:15 AM
I was going to ask about that little one that you found...probably good you didnt get it...these dudes are tough little buggers.

I got this one from SDC.

euod
12/31/2009, 02:08 AM
A very underated angel and surprisingly more resilent than what has been reported.

flameangel88
12/31/2009, 06:11 AM
Chris--very nice looking Venustus. Is it out of QT and what other fish are you keeping the Venustus with?

The primary issues I find with Venustus and Colin's angels are decompression and not eating. When the Venustus are available they are usually around $120-130 but back in September I got one for $100 and in October (male) for $80. The female didn't make it out of QT but the male is in the DT now. It doesn't eat much frozen other than mysis but enjoys NLS pellets.

Back in November
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/DSC_4648-1.jpg

1.5 week ago
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/IMG_8636.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/IMG_8635.jpg

when first introduced to the DT with the newly added CB
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/DSC_4464.jpg

3 days in this container to acclimate with new tankmates
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/DSC_4411.jpg

SDguy
12/31/2009, 08:39 AM
and surprisingly more resilent than what has been reported.

I respectfully disagree. I rarely hear of success stories, and have personally seen many die "mysteriously".

euod
12/31/2009, 09:29 AM
Well knocked on wood. Mine has been thru hell and back in the past year and chomping on clam, pellets, and nori. Probably a key thing, is to keep at 72F and with alot of crevices to hide. And I feed alot, trying to get them plump as Jeremy's fish, lol.

ironwill723
12/31/2009, 09:48 AM
flameangel...where did you purchase yours from? My last one from BZ didn't arrive in real good shape. Only lasted 3 weeks in QT and barely if ever ate anything.

ccampbell57
12/31/2009, 10:01 AM
Hey Kevin...this guy is in a 40g with my conspic. I moved him out of the 10g QT to make room for the 5.5cm bandit.

He eats mysis, brine, clam, and anything else I put in the tank except pellets.

I also noticed that my Venustus has yellow that goes up over the head and connects to the other side giving him a total purple mask...I am curious as to the color variations of this fish.

username in use
12/31/2009, 11:10 AM
Great looking fish, his colors are fantastic.

jhawkor
12/31/2009, 12:00 PM
Good luck with them guys!

flameangel88
12/31/2009, 07:08 PM
flameangel...where did you purchase yours from? My last one from BZ didn't arrive in real good shape. Only lasted 3 weeks in QT and barely if ever ate anything.

Got both from SWF dot com. One survived out of two so I hate to say it but 50% on this is not bad. I got three last year and not one make it past 3 weeks.

flameangel88
12/31/2009, 07:10 PM
I also noticed that my Venustus has yellow that goes up over the head and connects to the other side giving him a total purple mask...I am curious as to the color variations of this fish.

Chris, I've seen many variations before but this is the first time I seen one with the yellow crossing over the other side. Very cool looking!

cortez marine
12/31/2009, 09:11 PM
Almost all are from a notorious cyanide fishing area in the Northern Philippines.
Almost all are not decompressed ...but needled in the boat after the damage has been done.
This fish comes from a limited and defined area w/ no alternative sources.
It serves as a control group to proves a case few people want to see.
There is no move to improve things and indeed, the exporters haven't a clue how to anyway.
Steve

flameangel88
12/31/2009, 09:22 PM
Here's one of the three that was lost back in 2008 that appeared to be infected from needled.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/New%20Addition/IMG_2709.jpg

flameangel88
01/02/2010, 10:15 PM

Chris,

I was looking at some old pictures and realize the first Venustus I got back in Sep also has the yellow crossing over the other side. Unfortunately it only lasted 3 weeks in QT.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/New%20Addition/IMG_8228.jpg

cortez marine
01/02/2010, 10:38 PM
The damage from exploratory surgery with an old needle in vain attempt to solve the decompression problem is the quick-temporary fix to get the fish sold in Manila.
Screeners in Manila are city people who look for aesthetics to choose fishes to buy. They look for pefect fins and buy pretty fishes with nice fins.
The secondary infections that often arise later begin on the inside where the damage is not so apparent.

Days later the fish get exported and arrive clean as a whistle. This is because they have not eaten a thing for a week at this point.
Once in America, they progress thru the system and the race is on to sell it before it becomes visably thin and unsaleable..

The fishes survival instincts may push it to sample food and perhaps ingest it...but sadly, at the same time, the budding infection from the inside is working against it.
The infection may even be amplified by food interference. The fish may then stop attempts to feed.
Then before long you hear the age old hobbyists lament...
"He looked good and then just died for no reason.!"

The lucky ones may be the ones that were collected shallower, suffered less holes in the gut from needles, and received less of a cyanide dose.

So like blueface angels and majestics.which are nearly all caught with cyanide...enough survive to prime the pump and keep people trying.

Every species has stories of its running the guantlet to market. This tale of the venusta is but one.
Steve

jhawkor
01/02/2010, 10:45 PM
The damage from exploratory surgery with an old needle in vain attempt to solve the decompression problem is the quick-temporary fix to get the fish sold in Manila.
Screeners in Manila are city people who look for aesthetics to choose fishes to buy. They look for pefect fins and buy pretty fishes with nice fins.
The secondary infections that often arise later begin on the inside where the damage is not so apparent.

Days later the fish get exported and arrive clean as a whistle. This is because they have not eaten a thing for a week at this point.
Once in America, they progress thru the system and the race is on to sell it before it becomes visably thin and unsaleable..

The fishes survival instincts may push it to sample food and perhaps ingest it...but sadly, at the same time, the budding infection from the inside is working against it.
The infection may even be amplified by food interference. The fish may then stop attempts to feed.

The lucky ones may be the ones that were collected shallower, suffered less holes in the gut from needles, and received less of a cyanide dose.

So like blueface angels and majestics.which are nearly all caught with cyanide...enough survive to prime the pump and keep people trying.

Every species has stories of its running the guantlet to market. This tale of the venusta is but one.
Steve

Great post, thanks for the info!:thumbsup:

flameangel88
01/03/2010, 08:04 AM
Steve,

Thanks for the info. It's really a shame this practice hasn't changed over time but I guess we are guilty on keeping this practice ongoing by continuing to purchase them.

Kevin

On a high note--since moving him to the DT I can already tell he grew. :)

roktsintst
01/14/2010, 07:33 PM
Does Anyone Else have a Venusta???

Overboard
01/14/2010, 09:21 PM
I recently acquired a small Venustus from a LFS. I watched in the store for about three weeks before purchasing it. It seemed to be healthy and I had them feed it mysis before taking it home. I kept it in quarantine for about 6 weeks before moving it to a modest display tank with a pair of flame wrasses and a tailspot blenny. It eats live brine very well, but only looks at frozen mysis now. It probably knows I will break down and feed it the live brine eventually. It constantly picks at the live rock, but ignores the LPS and SPS. It is active and fairly bold.

I think the small size has helped the fish acclimate well so far. I sure hope it was not a cyanide collected fish. I cannot detect any pucture marks and there has been no sign of any infection. It did not require any medication while in quarantine.

It is still too early to claim success with this fish, but hopefully it is on the right track. They are truly a beautiful fish.

Mark

flameangel88
01/14/2010, 09:55 PM
Mark,

Try mixing NLS, ON and Hikari pellets together and alternate between live food. My Venustus loves pellets after weaning him into it..

Kevin

gasman059
01/15/2010, 07:53 AM
I had a venustus for over two years w/o issues. Unfortunately did not durvive a tank teardown and transfer.

Finniky eater at best and needs proper tankmates for sure.

ironwill723
01/15/2010, 08:59 AM
I have been looking for another one for months now. If anyone knows where I can pick one up please PM me.

jnc914
01/15/2010, 09:21 AM

Steve

Steve- Very informative post that definitely clears up alot of questions regarding the long term survivability of this fish. I have long wanted to keep a pair, but would always get spooked after reading about people's experiences with them. I have tried multiple attempts to keep the Multibarred angel, which is very similar to the Venustus and have had the same results with it as others have had with their Venustus. All the Multibarred angels (3 total) that I have attempted to keep looked extremely healthy and ate for me. However 3-6 months later they would just die for no apparent reason. Do you know if Multibarred angels are collected the same way? Its a shame because both the Venustus and Multibarred angels are such beautiful fish,but just almost next to impossible to keep long term.

hreef
01/15/2010, 09:28 AM
Hello Kevin and Mark,
Mark I do not know if you remember me but I got a coral from you many years ago! It's been a long time. When I saw Overboard....I said I know that name!
My name is Holly and I still have that coral...I included a pic.

Here is a pic I took yesterday, my venustus is doing great, I have had him since June. Seems the tail spot is a good friend for our Venustus!
I have seen many variations of the yellow striation. Kevin provided me with great info on this fish....mine did go thru the decompression period...and it lasted a good 3 weeks or more. After that...all ok. Eats the PE Mysis, Ocean Nutrition Flake 2 food...the micro pellets as well.
Holly/Daniel....as you know me Kevin!

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac338/hreef/DSC01507.jpg
http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac338/hreef/DSC01524.jpg

The coral below the Tennenti Tang is the one I got from you Mark.
http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac338/hreef/DSC01442.jpg

L8 2 RISE
01/15/2010, 02:04 PM
I saw somewhere on the thread that we should keep them at 72, yet the way some people are talking about them, it sounds like they keep them in their reefs? So what temp should they be kept at? Would they be alright at standard reef temp? How cold can they be kept?

Overboard
01/15/2010, 02:53 PM
Mark,

Try mixing NLS, ON and Hikari pellets together and alternate between live food. My Venustus loves pellets after weaning him into it..

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, but can you please help me with the initials? I am not sure I know NLS and ON. I want to try your approach.

Thanks,
Mark

roktsintst
01/15/2010, 02:55 PM
New Life Spectrum

Ocean Nutrition

Overboard
01/15/2010, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=hreef;16388697]Hello Kevin and Mark,
Mark I do not know if you remember me but I got a coral from you many years ago! It's been a long time. When I saw Overboard....I said I know that name!
My name is Holly and I still have that coral...I included a pic.

Here is a pic I took yesterday, my venustus is doing great, I have had him since June. Seems the tail spot is a good friend for our Venustus!
I have seen many variations of the yellow striation. Kevin provided me with great info on this fish....mine did go thru the decompression period...and it lasted a good 3 weeks or more. After that...all ok. Eats the PE Mysis, Ocean Nutrition Flake 2 food...the micro pellets as well.
Holly/Daniel....as you know me Kevin!

The coral below the Tennenti Tang is the one I got from you Mark.

Hi Holly!

Yes, I do remember you and you are right, it has been years. I am finally beginning to get back into the hobby after too long. My large system is still in storage, but I might set it back up this summer. I have a 36 bowfront running right now.

Thanks for saying hi!

Mark

flameangel88
01/15/2010, 08:20 PM
Gasman--sorry to hear of your loss. You had one beautiful Venustus and your picture really show it.

Jason--I would like to add Colin's angel to your list of problem along with the Multibarred and Venustus angels. I'd 3 Colin's and 3 Venustus in 2008 and they died in very similar fashion.

Ryan--thanks for clearing up the initials.

Mark--when I QT fish I don't discriminate and feed literally everything (on a rotation basis) till I see them nip on something. One thing I've seen more often than not is new fish usually take (nip/spit) small size food first, such as brine, pieces out of Marine Cuisine before they take mysis. The last couple of months I've had very good fortune of getting the new Venustus, Regal and Goldflake angel eating mostly pellets.

Holly--the username was familiar but I couldn't connect the name till the end of your post. Very happy to see your Venustus doing so well. I haven't seen mine eat PE Mysis yet but neither has mine Flameangels. Look forward to seeing your future updates.

Kevin

AngelsAnonymous
01/16/2010, 09:27 AM
There was one at my LFS that I would have gotten a discount on and it would have been around $80 if I remember correctly. The fish never ate for weeks it was there and eventually died I am assuming. Good thing I waited to see how it was.