PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what the width of the opening in the back of a 58 stand is?

ChadTheSpike
12/31/2009, 09:00 AM
Anyone who happens to have one of these mind helping me out, since I cant get to my tank right now? I would greatly appreciate it.
Im planning my sump replacement (currently a 30 gallon trash can) and want to know if I can put a 36"x24" tank in there sideways (I have plenty of room behind the tank).
I want to go as big as possible.
Thanks in advance!!
Chad

Beaun
12/31/2009, 09:54 AM
If you are talking about a 36x18 stand (standard 58 gallon oceanic) than I dont see how a 36x24 could ever fit in the slots in the back. With a center support brace your size is going to be cut down to around 15" wide openings. Even if you cut the stand in half and didnt count the center brace it could only be 18".

ChadTheSpike
12/31/2009, 10:29 AM
Yes, standard oceanic, 37" wide, 24" would fit sideways sticking out the back (there is lots of room behind the tank).
I have no issues modifying and reinforcing the stand if necessary, there isnt a center support brace in the front or back. Ill reinforce with 4x4s in the corners adn across the top with 2x4s if I need to modify the stand, although if the opening is 24" that would be cool.
Anyone have one and can measure for me please :D

Eel-byte
12/31/2009, 10:34 AM
Mine has a center brace in the back.

ChadTheSpike
12/31/2009, 10:41 AM
hmm, Im sure mine doesnt have a center brace, my protein skimmer is taller than the space beneath my tank so it sits in the center behind the cabinet, but half in it...
Interesting, I guess Ill have to wait till I get home and measure/possibly modify.
Just out of curiosity, how old are you all's cabinets? Mine is ~8.

ChadTheSpike
12/31/2009, 04:37 PM
Yay, no modification for me, the opeining is 25" wide!