PDA

View Full Version : 300 Gallon Deep Dimension Advice

zoomen
12/31/2009, 02:01 PM
Hi everyone - Happy New Years!

I'm about to place an order for the Marineland 300g DD with Starphire. I'm kinda stuck trying to decide between warrantee and preference. Here's the deal.

I contacted Marineland regarding their 300 gallon tank (specifically regarding the warrantee information that isn't advertised anywhere). I have read on various boards people saying that any modifications to this tank affected the warrantee, but it seemed like speculation and I wanted to get the facts.

Anyway after speaking to the lady it turns out that a stock "off-the-rack" 300gallon DD comes with a lifetime warrantee (limited). Any customizations that you make drop that warrantee from lifetime to 1year. So adding additional starphire panels, requesting overflows be located in a different location, enlarging or decreasing the stock size of the drilled holes all reduce the warrantee.

This is frustrating because I was hoping that any customizations that ML made for me would be covered under their warrantee program. I'm not sure why ML adding 2 additional Starphire panes would affect how they warrantee their product, but I guess that's the case. My LFS guy called as well and was told that ML/Perfecto would offer 1 year warrantee on customized tanks, but that anything past that year would be a "case by case" scenario. Anyway - does anyone know why ML/Perfecto don't stand up for their own customizations?

The main modification that I wanted to make was to move the overflows off the corners. Currently there are two overflows (one in each corner) and it kinda ruins the view from the side panels having to see the internal overflow areas. I wanted to move the overflows onto the back panel, but keep it near the original corners. I'm looking for advice or pros/cons of moving the overflows versus keeping it stock and maintaining the lifetime warrantee.

Thanks!

stealle
12/31/2009, 02:14 PM
I can't answer all your questions, but I'll just say that you should order the tank that you want even if that means customizing. If it holds up for a year, then it should go the distance.

For what its worth have you looked at acrylicandglassexhibits.com ( known as AGE or A.G.E. here on RC ). Arguably the best manufacturer but you'll pay big $$$ for it.

zoomen
12/31/2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks stealle. Thanks for the input. I guess it makes sense that most manufacturer defects would be exposed within the first year - it is just comforting knowing that in year 5 if I have leak via a seam, that restitution (to some degree) is offered.

As far as AGE goes - yeah, I would definitely go that route if I had the money to support it. Then again, I'd probably be driving in a Mercedez or other luxury vehicle if I could afford an AGE (which I don't). It might be worth getting a quote though even though I've read that the cost can be double to triple of what the ML/Perfecto tank runs for.

SteveMH
12/31/2009, 05:36 PM
This is frustrating because I was hoping that any customizations that ML made for me would be covered under their warrantee program. I'm not sure why ML adding 2 additional Starphire panes would affect how they warrantee their product, but I guess that's the case. My LFS guy called as well and was told that ML/Perfecto would offer 1 year warrantee on customized tanks, but that anything past that year would be a "case by case" scenario. Anyway - does anyone know why ML/Perfecto don't stand up for their own customizations?

Because it's a custom tank that they have made very few of, or in some cases maybe even just the one, that doesn't have the same proven history behind it that their mass produced tanks have.

zoomen
01/01/2010, 03:53 PM
Because it's a custom tank that they have made very few of, or in some cases maybe even just the one, that doesn't have the same proven history behind it that their mass produced tanks have.

Thanks Steve - That does make sense. I still wish the warrantee would cover customizations (for the lifetime), but I guess it's par for the course.

Any suggestions about lighting for this tank? I definitely don't want to go the MH route. I'm leaning towards the 60" 10x80W ATI Powermodule setup, but considering this is a 72" tank, I'm worried about side to side coverage.

gtaylor67
01/01/2010, 09:46 PM
Congrats on the future tank.. I have also purchased this tank in the last year and still planning set up early 2010. I have the starfire on 3 sides and have left the overflows in the corners.. Was wanting to move in myself but have herd of it being hard to clean and reach once set up for maintenance. I left in corner so could reach to clean glass and such.. I know they also make a taller stand which I wish I did get... But think it might not fit through my front door... LOL . Also would see if you could get a taller canopy if wanting MH with room for large enough reflectors to cover the 36" wide... Hope this helps....

dahenley
01/02/2010, 12:16 AM
where are you located?
i was passing through Dallas/Ft. Worth area on my way back from break, and at the True Perc in Ft. Worth, they have a 300gal with the 10 bulb fixture on it. (i believe it is the shorter one because it doesnt go all the way to the sides.) it had some nice growth. (that being said, it can be done)

one thing that was pointed out to me is that their stands are short because 90% of doors will not accept anything wider than 30inches. if you have the ability to go bigger, DO IT!! (im also 6'7" and i always look at tanks from the top. mainly because it sucks to bend over to look through the front)