PDA

View Full Version : 2 parts vs Cal reactor

salteebox
12/31/2009, 02:13 PM
what is the pros and cons between the two method? to me 2 parts is is a lot simplier, but does it cost more in the long run?

Thanks

HighlandReefer
12/31/2009, 02:24 PM
Depending on your occupants demand, perhaps dosing lime water might be a more economical decision vs. using a calcium reactor. Dosing lime water vs a calcium reactor has an added advantage of not adding the contaminates like heavy metals to your water and is cheaper. Lime water is the cheapest method to supplement calcium and alkalinity. A calcium reactor will decrease your pH, but if your demand is high, may be the best alternative.

HighlandReefer
12/31/2009, 02:28 PM
Randy goes into more details in this article:

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

chuckreef
12/31/2009, 03:41 PM
The main con for the two part (besides cost), for me was the increasing salinity.

HighlandReefer
12/31/2009, 04:38 PM
Salinity changes will occur if you modify your water parameters such as magnesium. This has nothing to do with maintaining existing parameters, unless you let them drop or rise significantly, which can occur with any method you choose to maintain the parameters. :)

unbreakable
12/31/2009, 04:47 PM
i think two part is simple. just buy a dosing pump, a timer, and figure out how much your alk or calcium drops every couple of days and just set according to that. calcium reactor looks pretty cool, but it takes a lot of tweaking and testing-- plus takes up more more room. i think jdieck made a chart comparing the two and at how many gallons one is more economical than the other..

sjames
12/31/2009, 06:14 PM
IMO, unless your tank has a very high demand, 2part is much easier to deal with.

Mike O'Brien
12/31/2009, 06:34 PM
I've used all the methods, and I currently use DIY three part. Depending on the availability of the chemicals to you the cost is extremely cheap. Also there is no limit with this method like there is with limewater.