PDA

View Full Version : Feeding schedule questions!

Hockey0000325
12/31/2009, 02:21 PM
Hey guys I just brought home my first pair of Clarkii Clowns from new Guinea last night. I was wondering as these are my first fish how often, what types and how much food should I give them? I have reef flakes, frozen mysis, and new life spectrum reef formula on the way. The female is quite large and tends to gobble up the flakes before my little one gets a chance. I also am loosing some food to my overflow which is kinda expected i guess. :fish1:

Pcrain
12/31/2009, 02:32 PM
there are many factors that can change your feed schedule if you feed too much for your system to process you can cause a nitrate or ammonia spike i generally like to feed sinking pellets b/c they are really easy to feed and the fish can scavenge for them and get them fairly easy so they almost always get eaten i feed a block of frozen once a week and pellets twice a day with a huge fish load and that has worked well for the last 2 years with a full reef

Sisterlimonpot
12/31/2009, 02:33 PM
Sounds like you have a good assortment of food. As to how often to feed is really up to your schedule it's better to feed smaller increments throughout the day. But once a day is just fine as well.

As far as allowing the food to fall over into the over flow I would try to avoid that. I recommend turning off the pumps when feeding. It allows the fish to eat more of the food and leaves little to accumulate and turn into detritus.

Hockey0000325
12/31/2009, 02:35 PM
thank you guys for your insight! Sister something as simple as that is exactly what I would completely have looked past! Your absolutely right about killing the powerheads! Duh on my part! lol thank you again so much!

Sisterlimonpot
12/31/2009, 02:43 PM
thank you guys for your insight! Sister something as simple as that is exactly what I would completely have looked past! Your absolutely right about killing the powerheads! Duh on my part! lol thank you again so much!
No problem,
That is a practice that isn't used by most. (makes the fish lazy) but I find it keeps my nitrates down and I don't care about them being catered to, they are in my tank and they'll get fed, they don't need to compete for food. there's plenty to go around.

Hockey0000325
12/31/2009, 02:46 PM
Yea I just wanna make sure the little guy is eating to so I like your idea alot!