PDA

View Full Version : length of time to use brs calc/alk/mag

dolphinman213
01/01/2010, 03:55 PM
how long does the solution from brs last---i have not used the mag as much as the calc/alk 2 part and the mag is turning a slight yellow color in the container--is this still good to use?

museumguy
01/01/2010, 05:50 PM
I seem to recall another person asking a similar question and getting a response something like "you will be long dead and in the ground before the chemicals go bad".

Personally if I was nervous I would add just a little bit, and make sure there were no ill effects or signs of stress before adding more.

skimmerdude
01/01/2010, 05:57 PM
Inorganic chemicals, such as found in BRS products, should be good forever. The only issue that might arise is evaporation, if this occurs, precipitation of the ions might occur and I could he hard to know how much RO/DI water to add back. If the solutions are in sealed containers, they should be good almost forever.

bertoni
01/01/2010, 07:15 PM
The yellowing might be from a bit of organic debris in the mix, or some similar contamination. I doubt I'd worry very much, personally. I agree that the magnesium part of the solution will outlast us. :)