PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ Apex over Linksys WRT54GL

JimLish
01/01/2010, 03:14 PM
I just hooked up my Apex controller, but I need some assistance on getting network access using a Linksys router configured as a bridge/WAP using Tomato. I was able to update the firmware of the router with Tomato, but I am not sure how to progress (or if I need to change to DD WRT). My first step was to try to access the Apex over my local network, but I am not really sure what I need to do with the router or the Apex. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Jim

fernandokng
01/01/2010, 09:42 PM
Do a search on this forum for DDWRT - I did the same thing to my wrt54gl and set it up as a bridge, and it works great.

JimLish
01/07/2010, 09:17 AM
I have my Apex using port 9000 and I set up port forwarding on my main router to go to the Linksys bridge, then port forwarding on the Linksys to go to the Apex. I am able to see/control the Apex by entering the IP address of the Linksys:9000 in the browser address. If the port forwarding is set up correctly, I should be able to also enter the main router IP:9000 and it should bring up the Apex screen, correct? If that works, I should be able to also enter my outside IP:9000 from the WAN and it should also go to the Apex, correct?

baondayko
01/07/2010, 10:23 AM
Yes. You may also want to consider using a dynamic dns so you don't have to worry if your IP address changes (unless you have a static IP).

tamu
01/07/2010, 10:27 AM
So you are using two networks?
What is the IP address/subnet mask on your 'main' router?
What is the IP address/subnet mask of your Apex?

Most of the time a bridge is a transparent device, therefore, you would not need a port forward on the bridge (which you are referring to as Linksys?)

In theory it would be one port forward on the outside.

JimLish
01/07/2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am using D-Link's Dynamic DNS to resolve the IP address. I believe I have the Apex's IP address outside of the range of the D-Link (main) router's IP/subnet mask, but the Linksys bridge is within the range (since the bridge can have 4 devices connected through ethernet cables).

tamu
01/07/2010, 11:09 AM
I wonder if you could get away with turning off the firewall on the bridge along with DHCP on it.

Then put your Apex on the same IP scheme as your 'computer' network.

JimLish
01/08/2010, 08:50 AM
OK, the Apex is now getting an IP address from my main D-Link router. I reserved the IP address for the Apex on the router and setup port forwarding from the D-Link to the Apex's IP address and am now using port 100. Shield's Up shows the port as open. I am able to access the Apex using my D-Link DDNS lookup (and external IP address), but only when I am at home from a computer on my LAN. Could my D-Link be blocking access, even though the port shows as open?

tamu
01/08/2010, 08:55 AM
Is the Apex still listening on port 80, or did you change it to 100?

From the outside you are using http://yourIP:100 ?

Best practice is to go with a port greater than 1024?