PDA

View Full Version : Empty 120g! What should i use it for?

SeaSerpant
01/01/2010, 04:39 PM
Okay, i have an empty 120g in my room and i have no idea what to use it for! I know i could always set up another sw aquarium. But that may break my bank! Is there any cheap ideas that i could use it for. Or just a cheap way to convert it to a sw aquarium!

Thanks
SeaSerpant

lougotzz
01/01/2010, 05:27 PM
Make a FO tank?

monn78
01/01/2010, 05:30 PM
I got the cheapest option give it to me lol

lordofthereef
01/01/2010, 07:17 PM
Didn't you just break it down? If so I am kind of confused. You broke down a tank that you want to build up again for less?

lordofthereef
01/01/2010, 07:18 PM
I got the cheapest option give it to me lol

I agree. Too bad he is in Canada or else I would actually seriously ask :)

Playa-1
01/01/2010, 07:22 PM
I big remote sump/fuge

stubby 58
01/01/2010, 07:33 PM
Ya 2+ send it my way . Would love a 120 can not talk wife into it . She says we do not need another money pit .
stubby

nemofish2217
01/01/2010, 07:36 PM
Cichlids would be pretty sweet. I'm thinking like a Manguanese or something like that.... if you wanna be cheap for sw maybe go with a FOWLR.... you could cut down on a lot of expenses such as lighting... other than that....sell it, lol

Or you could always do a sweet terrarium...but then you'd probably end up spending as much...

lordofthereef
01/01/2010, 07:40 PM
Or you could always do a sweet terrarium...but then you'd probably end up spending as much...

Was thinking of saying that too but I think a lot of people here whince at the idea of converting a tank to a terrarium LOL. Depedning on what you keep I think you can actually do that fairly inexpensively if you get creative.

SeaSerpant
01/01/2010, 07:41 PM
FOWLR? So i wouldn't need the heavy duty lights?

Lordofthereef
I didn't just break it down! I wish i did b/c then i would get it all back :P

I first had a fw tanks, but that was proven boring, then i had 2 geckos but i bought the wrong ones (well the right ones, but they were nocturnal, so they never come out!

So it's on to the next thing!

Any other ideas?

Thanks
SeaSerpant

nemofish2217
01/01/2010, 07:44 PM
FOWLR = Fish Only with Live Rock....

and no, since you would only have fish in the tank, then you would not need the lights used to support coral growth. Heck, you could use a regular old shop light if you wanted to... it wouldn't look super nice but it would be super cheap...

nemofish2217
01/01/2010, 07:45 PM
Was thinking of saying that too but I think a lot of people here whince at the idea of converting a tank to a terrarium LOL. Depedning on what you keep I think you can actually do that fairly inexpensively if you get creative.

I love terrariums, he could have a sweet poison dart frog set up...

jdwreefer
01/01/2010, 08:08 PM
I love terrariums, he could have a sweet poison dart frog set up...

+1 on the dart frogs :lol2:

Lateralus
01/01/2010, 08:13 PM
Yea I've always wanted a dartfrog setup. Ive seen some just as nice lookin as some sw tanks.

Joe Pusdesris
01/01/2010, 08:18 PM
6500k T8 lighting from home depot on a mushroom tank.

Deep sand bed of quikrete commercial grade fine sand.

NP_Reef
01/01/2010, 08:26 PM
FOWLR imo.

seafansar
01/01/2010, 08:53 PM
Turtles seem cheap and easy, but I like the dart frog idea or maybe one of those awesome colored chameleons like a red panther or blue nosy be.

SeaSerpant
01/02/2010, 12:03 PM
A terrarium sounds great, but poison dart frogs? aren't they poisonous??? LOL. I would get it drilled if i could but the bottom says DO NOT DRILL TEMPERED GLASS.
Do people still drill them even though it says that?

Thanks
SeaSerpant

Frick-n-Frags
01/02/2010, 12:09 PM
no, you dont want to drill that :D

Lateralus
01/02/2010, 12:16 PM
A terrarium sounds great, but poison dart frogs? aren't they poisonous??? LOL. I would get it drilled if i could but the bottom says DO NOT DRILL TEMPERED GLASS.
Do people still drill them even though it says that?

Thanks
SeaSerpant

Not unless you plan on licking them!!
Actually they are not poisonous in captivity due to the change in their diet. Plus a full vivarium with soil and live plants is much like a fishtank where the waste is decomposed by beneficial bacteria within the soil to become fertilizer for the plants. Basically a full cycle just like an aquarium.

jflick345
01/02/2010, 12:26 PM
I put together a 20H planted terrarium with DIY waterfall/stream and false bottom for my red eye tree frogs and spent maybe $100 max. Terrariums are way easier to be creative with being frugal than SW aquariums since you just put small plants in and in a matter of months you're overgrown

SeaSerpant
01/02/2010, 12:49 PM
Frick-n-frags
Okay then! i won't ;)

Lateralus
I was thinking along the lines of a vivarium and i was thinking of a waterfall and everything with some coexisting animals like a full ecosystem!

jflick345
Ya thats what i'm going to do, i didn't want to spend more than a week or 2's check (160$) so i can see what i can do! What did you use to make the waterfall?

I hope this will work out int the end!
Thanks
SeaSerpant

jflick345
01/02/2010, 01:28 PM
It was basically foam covered eggcrate with broken seashells attached. I guess it was more of a very small waterfall with a steep stream leading to a little pool. I just had a small pump with rubber tubing that moved the water. My biggest regret with it was that it was poorly designed and the water kept getting dirty. I ended up just keeping the pool and unplugging the pump. I'm planning on planting my old 38g to do more frogs and will definitely be doing lots of research before I attempt the stream again.

Lateralus
01/03/2010, 12:37 AM
@ SeaSerpant. If you end up putting this thing together in the future please post the pics. Id love to see the result.

darkdruid
01/03/2010, 09:24 AM
Set it up with freshwater native fish. You can go to the closest lake or stream and collect the gravel, rocks, and driftwood, snails, etc, for free. Then grab your fishing rod and go fishing to stock the tank. Since the natives are used to huge temp swings from the seasons, you won't even need a chiller or a heater. You can set it up almost for free.

Juruense
01/03/2010, 09:45 AM
Reptiles and amphibians make horrible pets. They are both extremely challenging. Please do not try to keep them on a whim.

I would suggest setting up a simple FW planted tank with lots of Tetras.

Edit: the post above is an even better idea I have kept many native species of fish and they make great pets

tc2008
01/03/2010, 09:52 AM
Natural Birth TUB!! :D

David Jr.
01/03/2010, 10:06 AM
LOL, all he'll need is some Reef Crystals!

sharky334
01/03/2010, 10:36 AM
I always thought it would be cool to have a brackish tank with Archer fish with the tanks 1/2 full and have insects above it so it could spit them down to eat!