PDA

View Full Version : need opinion on tank for stand

dannyd711
01/01/2010, 11:49 PM
Hi all been while since I have been on just got a simple question. I just updated my tv and stand. We are getting rid of the tv but i want to keep the stand. the stand is 35.5in x 20in. I was thinking of keeping a 40 breeder, but its 36 1/4 in long. would that be safe to put on the tv stand. Oh btw I put about 500 pounds of weight on the stand and it held up pretty well. Im not really concerned about the weight. I currently have a 29 gallon with a 15 gallon sump and if its possible I want to slightly upgrade with out spending alot.

If you have any ideas as far as a good size tank to put on the stand please let me know.

Sorry for the poor quality, I took it with my phone bu this is the stand
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/dannyd711/tvstand.jpg
the shelves on the bottom are removeable. there is enough space for a decent size sump. It also has a side compartment where i can hide everything I need for the tank.

coralnut99
01/02/2010, 12:33 PM
Have piece of 3/4" plywood cut to the dimensions of the 40B and you could go with that. You would aonly have 1/2" hanging over each side. Depends on taste. You may want to look at the way that stand sit on the bottom moulding. It may make you think twice about the weight factor.

WharfRat
01/02/2010, 03:21 PM
I'd do it but I'd use 1/2" ply. You aren't needing to make up much on the ends. You can get a 2x4 piece at Lowes for a couple bucks. Cut it down and put some type of finish on it and set up your tank and as stated before..take a good look at those feet.

coralnut99
01/02/2010, 06:32 PM
If you go to one of the box stores for the plywood, they'll usually make one cut for free. I would also think about tacking some 1/4" plywood to the back since it looks mostly open. It will add lateral rigidity to it, and it won't sway side to side.

dannyd711
01/02/2010, 07:06 PM
thanks for the opinions. I plan on getting some wood for the back and one thats the same dimenions as the 40b

What do you guy think i should do about the bottom molding? I thought it was ok but then again I have never built a stand.

coralnut99
01/02/2010, 07:55 PM
thanks for the opinions. I plan on getting some wood for the back and one thats the same dimenions as the 40b

What do you guy think i should do about the bottom molding? I thought it was ok but then again I have never built a stand.

It's tough to say what to do with that moulding. It all depends on how the thing is put together. Chances are, the bottom moulding is nothing more that a square with a rabbet (recess) cut in it to accept the entire upper portion. I couldn't possibly judge whether or not that lower case moulding can support the weight.

Something that didn't occur to me earlier is that the bottom of the open part to the left is most likely made of particle board. If by chance it's a plywood panel in there, a sump should be OK. If it's particle board or MDF, you should think about investing in a stand. Just my 2 bits.

hebygb
01/02/2010, 09:25 PM
I think closer inspection of the materials used in the stand and the way it is constructed are fairly important. a 40B is going to be about 320+ LBS. Add a sump and you are close to 500 lbs... My hunch is your 500 pound test was a brief or momentary test, but an aquarium sitting there for months/years is a different story. That stand was not designed for that kind of weight... even a 60" old school Plasma doesnt weight 300 LBS... nor will it dump 40 + gallons of water in your livingroom.

dannyd711
01/02/2010, 09:27 PM
It's tough to say what to do with that moulding. It all depends on how the thing is put together. Chances are, the bottom moulding is nothing more that a square with a rabbet (recess) cut in it to accept the entire upper portion. I couldn't possibly judge whether or not that lower case moulding can support the weight.

Something that didn't occur to me earlier is that the bottom of the open part to the left is most likely made of particle board. If by chance it's a plywood panel in there, a sump should be OK. If it's particle board or MDF, you should think about investing in a stand. Just my 2 bits.

Bad news I didnt think of that either and your right it is partlicle board. Do you think if I replace that piece with ply wood and reinforce all the other pieces it should be ok? I dont really have the funds for a stand at the monent and I like the way this looks so hopefully I can save it and use it for my next project

dannyd711
01/03/2010, 05:00 PM
Well after reading all of your opinions. I am not gunna use the tv stand. I am going to use it in my guest room. I went to petsmart with my girl friend so she can buy some cat food. I went to the aquatics section and saw an awsome marineland 56 column tank, stand a light. For a good price. the stand has enough room for a 20gallon sump and i could use the light for the refugium. Im going to just get that and start a new project.

thanks again for all your help

WharfRat
01/03/2010, 05:13 PM
Good plan. Keep us posted on the new tank too.