PDA

View Full Version : aluminum tank w/ marine epoxy?

andrew2010
01/02/2010, 03:12 AM
I am new to reef tanks but I have many years with freshwater tanks. I am outgrowing my 29g standard tank. I am going to attempt to build my own tank but did not want acrylic or plywood construction. I am not sure of the size yet either 3' long by 24" deep 32" high or 6' long ( 9' of counter space available). I have been reading on plywood construction with 1-3 glass panels. I want to do similar construction but with aluminum plate or rectangular tubing with 2 starphire glass panels. I like the contemporary look of brushed aluminum and i think it would look better than plywood const. I would paint the interior of the tank blue or black then cover with marine epoxy. I even figured out a way to have a mechanical clamp (besides the silicone adhesive/sealant) behind the glass by welding all thread to the edge of the interior of the tank that I can bolt "renforcing plates" around the glass edge. I plan on either having the exterior brushed or machined with possible copper accent pieces on it.

my question is about the marine epoxy. will it bond with aluminum safley for a reef tank ? if this works I would like to toy with making an all enclosed nano tank for my bedroom with a sliding attached hood.

jimzin15754
01/02/2010, 09:41 AM
If you ask me all the hows and why's of my answer I cant tell you right away, that is, without talking to some engineers at work. But I'm a machinist for a large sheet metal facility and we also do alot of billet aluminum work for the military. Final finish varies somewhat for what we do, some products are anodized, some are powdercoated or wet painted, some are even anodized then powdercoated! But all share the same pre-finish, which is irodite. We etch the aluminum in a mild acid then apply irridite (which has several colors) as a sealer. there are some parts that have the irrodite as a final finish. Dont know how much this helps but it'll give you more to research, lol ! Jim

andrew2010
01/03/2010, 07:51 AM
thanks.. I figured it out.. stupid question.( I was over thinking the project) lol I am starting the build tomorrow if my local supplier still has the stock I need. I will post pics of my progress.

andrew2010
01/03/2010, 07:52 AM
I am doing the tig welding myself jim. I am using unfinished stock and painting myself.

jimzin15754
01/03/2010, 11:46 AM
I wouldnt be concerned with whether or not the epoxy will bond as Im sure the proper epoxy will. But 90% of the military parts I mentioned are Naval. My suspision is that aluminum will oxidize underneath paint/powder/anodize causing it to seperate over time. The same princaple as primer on a car. Sure the paint will stick without it..but not for long. I'd get it irodited.

210reefer
01/03/2010, 01:49 PM
I agree, saltwater will corode aluminum over time, better off with a plywood setup instead but I am not a metalurgist.