PDA

View Full Version : ecoxotic Stunner LED Strips?

gambitcobra
01/02/2010, 12:44 PM
has anyone used these yet and what did you think?

rtparty
01/02/2010, 01:28 PM
While I have not used them, they did premiere them at the Mountain West Reef Fest here in Utah in November. One word.....AMAZING!

They set up a Solana with the whole Ecoxotic fixture over the tank and then had all the stunner strips sitting out to play with. They were bright and made the corals pop big time! I was very surprised and it also sold me on LED for the future.

dg3147
01/03/2010, 03:06 PM
i'm all ready to buy a strip to augment my t5's, but cannot decide on a color. any ideas?

rtparty
01/03/2010, 03:40 PM
i'm all ready to buy a strip to augment my t5's, but cannot decide on a color. any ideas?

I would go with the blue strip unless you want more white in your tank. I would recommend not using one of the multi colored strips. That tends to have a spotlight effect that looks odd. Use the pure blue strip IMO. Not the actinic 403nm or whatever it is. The solid blue.

dg3147
01/11/2010, 12:36 AM
ordered them and should have them in a couple days --review to follow...

dg3147
01/14/2010, 12:51 PM
So, I bought three of them, the white 10k, the UV, and the blue. With my daytime T5's on, you cannot tell that the LED's are even running. No shimmer affect is added --I am bummed about that.

With the T5's off at night, the UV provides some fluoresence but it appears a little red; however, with the Blue used in isolation it really looks pretty cool at night with a ton of fluorescence.

I will be returning the other two strips for a refund.

In summary, the blue provides a pretty cool lunar light affect, but none of them provide any real shimmer affect (at least when only a couple strips are used).

gambitcobra
01/14/2010, 01:57 PM
THANK YOU! thats what I needed to hear, and sorry they didnt workout

jmking33
01/18/2010, 12:26 AM
I think to get the shimmer effect, you would need to run at least 4 strips on a 48" tank. obviously there will only be shimmering where the leds are positioned.

las
01/28/2010, 11:24 PM
i cant decide if i should put 4 or 6 453 nm on my 3 ft tank... anyone have experience?

kcsnook
01/30/2010, 03:58 PM
I run 4 on my 72Gallon which is 48", they look great and highlight the colors in my rock and corals. I have the Actinics but I just read that they had the UV which I might add to my existing set up. I like the ease of mounting and plug and play if you will....

James983
01/30/2010, 04:07 PM
If your adding them to T5s for the shimmer wouldn't it be best to get a white bulb?

kayaking2
06/10/2010, 06:56 AM
I bought the 2-24inch full set with stand and they do provide a shimmer...quick nice actually. The compnay sent along 2 453nm stunner strips which I mounted on the lights.
The stunner strip adds some nice color.

I plan to order 4 more stunner strips to add some nice color. I think they need more blue to their full light product.

jfarabaugh
06/10/2010, 08:37 AM
I have 3 of them in MY BC29. My 3 PCs completely over power them no shimmer or anything else. I can barely and I mean barely tell when they are at the same time as my PCs. They may be good for dusk dawn effects though. I was very excited when they first came out and bought them right away but for the price I am not impressed.

Anemonebuff
06/11/2010, 09:22 AM
I have the blue stunners. One over each 2' of my 6' 125 gallon. Dawn dusk looks amazing, but as stated above, they do not have the strength to over power or change the color of my MHs. If you want shimmer you should use the panorama.

thebanker
06/11/2010, 12:36 PM
If your adding them to T5s for the shimmer wouldn't it be best to get a white bulb?

my question too. I'm debating getting a couple of these.

greech
06/11/2010, 01:56 PM
My LFS has 4 stunners over a 90 attached to a 4 bulb Sundial T5. I cannot tel the difference when all lights are on. I think the only way you're going to get shimmer with the T5's is to go with the panorama module with optics (similar to powerbrites). Think they are about $90 per 12 bulb strip.

Anemonebuff
06/12/2010, 06:55 AM
my question too. I'm debating getting a couple of these.

You will see the shimmer of white LEDs better. The panorama strips will have enough power to be noticed, the stunners will not.

Dave1NC
06/19/2011, 12:55 PM
I wanted to tag along on this thread. I have 2 nova extremes (6 bulb and 8 bulb) fixtures over a 240 gallon (96x24x24) mixed reef. I get some decent colors from my SPS, but would like to bring out more of the pinks from the birdsnest corals and increase the blues of some of my acros.

I was thinking of adding 4 blues on each side of the existing fixture. It appears many people are debating if the whites or blues give more shimmer. I would love to add shimmer, but would prefer better overall color.

Does anyone think I could put 4 of these units in the existing fixtures? Would 2 blue and 2 white provide a nicer spectrum? Any help would be appreciated :).

bboudreaux
06/19/2011, 01:26 PM
i have 4 blue strips over 4ft tank, and i also used to think they were lacking. well recently i had a little spill under my tank. the power supply got wet and was ruined. so i was without them for about a week, and now that the new power supply is in it does make a difference.

brent

Dave1NC
06/19/2011, 01:39 PM
I've been doing a little more reading and found they also make a 48" fixture. Based on their web site they run around $139.00 ea. I googled the unit and found it for a little less... The transformer runs around $40.00

48" 24 watt Stunner LED 445nm Blue

48" 24 watt Stunner LED 453nm Blue/Magenta

48" 24 watt Stunner LED 12K White/Magenta

48" 24 watt Stunner LED 12K White/445nm Blue

48" 24 watt Stunner LED 8000K White

rtparty
06/19/2011, 08:24 PM
I wanted to tag along on this thread. I have 2 nova extremes (6 bulb and 8 bulb) fixtures over a 240 gallon (96x24x24) mixed reef. I get some decent colors from my SPS, but would like to bring out more of the pinks from the birdsnest corals and increase the blues of some of my acros.

I was thinking of adding 4 blues on each side of the existing fixture. It appears many people are debating if the whites or blues give more shimmer. I would love to add shimmer, but would prefer better overall color.

Does anyone think I could put 4 of these units in the existing fixtures? Would 2 blue and 2 white provide a nicer spectrum? Any help would be appreciated :).

If you want to add pink to your tank, change your T5 bulbs to have more pink bulbs.

The LED's aren't going to add any pink for you. I bet even the new Magenta stunner strips aren't going to be enough for you to notice.

Changing one bulb = ~$20.
Adding a bunch of LED's = a TON more.

What T5 bulbs are you currently running? I bet we can save you a lot of time and money just by switching those up.

shesacharmer
05/26/2014, 09:08 AM
Well it's 2014 now. I just bought the 48" Panorama fixture to replace my hot MH. My husband says the shimmer makes his eyes feel goofy. I'd say the Panorama shimmers plenty. I'm thinking of adding some stunners to increase PAR. I'm really quite happy with the unit and my corals are all doing well.

shesacharmer
06/29/2014, 05:26 PM
Update: After owning the Panorama for several weeks I've noticed it's really not enough light for more demanding corals. I considered adding some stunners but they are only 6 watts each...supposedly double if you add the optional reflectors. I opted to get a second Panorama instead and now I'm quite happy with the amount of light in the tank, the shimmer is enhanced by aiming the powerheads up a bit so there is more movement at the top of the tank. Overall, very happy...and my Husband gave me the controller for the lights for my birthday. It's pretty nice!

PaleHorse
06/29/2014, 08:30 PM
i wouldnt use this to grow any coral

shesacharmer
07/06/2014, 08:03 PM
i wouldnt use this to grow any coral

I won't tell my beautiful coral if you don't.

mnkykng77
08/23/2014, 02:01 PM
shesacharmer: How do you think the Panorama will fair for a FOWLR tank? Or would the getting the Stunners be ok?