PDA

View Full Version : Flow advice for 2 different cubes

lastlight
01/02/2010, 03:18 PM
Hello,

I've been scared to commit to these powerheads because I am pretty fussy about noise. After having sold my large tank and house I'm setting up a smaller cube-like tank in my new basement. I plan to have the back of the tank against an insulated wall with the dry sides in the other room away from the tank area. Hopefully that helps.

My question is which models would serve me best for a mostly SPS tank? After going high-end for my last build and losing my shirt with its sale I'd like to be a little more budget conscious this time around.

Scenario 1:

30x30x24 with 12" external overflow centered on back.
I could mount 2 on the back wall on either side of where my overflow box sits. 9" to either side of box for placement and push 30" to tank front.

Scenario 2:

36x36x18 with 12" external overflow centered on back.
I could mount 2 on the back wall on either side of where my overflow box sits. 12" to either side of box for placement and push 36" to tank front.

I'd love to be able to buy either 1 mp40w or 2 mp20s but not sure if that will work in either case.

Please advise and thank-you.

I'm even open to which tank everyone thinks would be nicer. I plan to build a canopy on it and the tank will be on a short stand by the couch.

E.intheC
01/03/2010, 12:20 AM
those both sound like awesome tanks. If I had the room (and $$) I'd be setting up a tank similar to those dimensions. I think the second would be easier to light for SPS because it's 18 inches high. MP 20's would be fine, IMO.

EcoTech Marine
01/04/2010, 10:10 AM
For the larger tank I'd recommend two MP40w's and you could easily place them along the back wall and achieve great flow. For the smaller tank one MP40w may be too little but two MP20's should be ideal. With these the ideal placement would probably be on the sides, but the back wall could work.

2x MP20's would have the benefit of being quieter.

lastlight
01/04/2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks Tim.

What about 30x30x20? Water height I'm guessing at around the 18" mark...

Still 2 x mp20 or 1 x mp40w?

With whatever tank I do build all powerheads will be on the back wall.

EcoTech Marine
01/04/2010, 11:56 AM
The height of the tank won't have a huge effect on the pump choice. I'd stick with my original suggestions regardless of height. You could try MP10's too.

lastlight
01/04/2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks the the speedy replies =)

So with a 30x30x20...

is 2 x mp20s more ideal than 2 x mp40 or are you factoring in noise and cost for me? With the dry sides on the other side of a wall is it possible that noise won't be a deciding factor?

EcoTech Marine
01/04/2010, 01:41 PM
Brett-

Bigger is definitely better with the VorTech's because you can always turn them down in speed, but yes, I'm factoring noise and cost for you on my recommendation for 20's. If you went with 2x MP40w's on that tank, you'll probably turn them down anyway, so noise may not be an issue (at that point though, they're basically MP20's with the benefit of wireless communication).

lastlight
01/04/2010, 02:06 PM
Lol...you're *almost* saying I should get the bigger tank and the 2 mp40w.

At least I like to think so. Thanks for the help.

EcoTech Marine
01/04/2010, 02:42 PM
lol, of I know anything about this hobby, it's that we all go for the bigger tank sooner or later ;)