PDA

View Full Version : Interceptor treatment for Red Bugs

Dalmerjd
01/02/2010, 07:50 PM
Ok, so I have done my first treatment with the interceptor for red bugs. I caught as many crabs, shrimp, snails and put them in a separate tank.
I pulled the carbon, shut down the air portion of my skimmer, shut off the UV and ground up the pills. One pill is supposed to treat 380g . I used 1 1/3 pills, so I should be good to go for a little under 500g. I mixed them up in some tank water and put it in the sump right at the suction of the return pump.
In the tanks remained 3 blood shrimp, 2 cleaner shrimp, a few crabs, a pistol shrimp, a lobster and a few snails. After six hours of treatment, everything that was supposed to die didn't. Although the drugs should have killed all the crabs and shrimp, and lobster, they still remain alive. Have I done something wrong? What should be the next logical step, triple the dose? Could there be something wrong with the drugs?

DLANDINO
01/02/2010, 07:54 PM
Ok, so I have done my first treatment with the interceptor for red bugs. I caught as many crabs, shrimp, snails and put them in a separate tank.
I pulled the carbon, shut down the air portion of my skimmer, shut off the UV and ground up the pills. One pill is supposed to treat 380g . I used 1 1/3 pills, so I should be good to go for a little under 500g. I mixed them up in some tank water and put it in the sump right at the suction of the return pump.
In the tanks remained 3 blood shrimp, 2 cleaner shrimp, a few crabs, a pistol shrimp, a lobster and a few snails. After six hours of treatment, everything that was supposed to die didn't. Although the drugs should have killed all the crabs and shrimp, and lobster, they still remain alive. Have I done something wrong? What should be the next logical step, triple the dose? Could there be something wrong with the drugs?

When I treated my tank last year I placed 1 pill for small dogs in the tank although it was over kill for a 46 gallon tank there were no harmful side effects. I placed on hermit crab in the tank as I didn't have any and watched. He died in just under an hour. My guess is that your remaining shrimp and crabs will be dead by morning. Snails, star fish, and urchins go unharmed. Are you noticing less red bugs on your acros? They die very quickly with this treatment.

Wrench
01/02/2010, 07:56 PM
When I dosed it did not kill any of my shrimp but I am red bug free. I dosed 1/2 pill in a ~170g system.

Dalmerjd
01/02/2010, 08:00 PM
I forgot to mention, the treatment was completed three days ago. The drugs remained in the system for about 12 hours until I did a 150g water change and reinstalled the carbon and restarted the skimmer. The remaining shrimps/crabs etc are still all alive.

FranktheTankTx
01/02/2010, 08:02 PM
Surprising! Most reads indicate shrimp/crabs are dead meat if left in tank during treatment. Hang on to those hardy critters!!

Dalmerjd
01/02/2010, 08:15 PM
Surprising! Most reads indicate shrimp/crabs are dead meat if left in tank during treatment. Hang on to those hardy critters!!

This is exactly what I had read and was expecting. That being said, I am wondering if the drugs were bad. Ever heard that about them?

scoots
01/02/2010, 08:19 PM
I have treated a couple tanks and had about a 50% survival rate with shrimp and about 75% with crabs. Seemed if the shrimp could molt, they were fine.