PDA

View Full Version : Horrible ugly hitchhiker good or bad?

CoralBeautyII
01/03/2010, 09:49 AM
When i put the lights on this morning i thought id take a peak and see if i see any goodies...ugh no i saw a baddie! Ugly like half snail half roach :fun5:
I didnt want to touch him, but now im wondering if i made a mistake and hes actually bad? or harmless?
Looking at the picture you can see to the left he has two roach like antenae with a little head, then a gross oval thin shell and an ugly yellow puss colored snail body
what is he???

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/ewyourpoor/0105-5.jpg

newsalt
01/03/2010, 09:51 AM
Can't remember the name, but it's not bad.

CoralBeautyII
01/03/2010, 09:55 AM
Can't remember the name, but it's not bad.

oh thank you! thank you!
this thing would have been bothering me all day...phew, glad i dont have to think about him now :rollface:

Playa-1
01/03/2010, 10:01 AM
I've got a black one my tank. I don't remember exactly what it is. But it's considered a good member of the Clean up crew. It's nocturnal and I rarely see the one im my tank.

goochesfish
01/03/2010, 10:03 AM
stomatella are good algae eaters

sedor
01/03/2010, 10:04 AM
I have them in my tank too. Although mine are more grey as opposed to yellow.

Russter
01/03/2010, 10:07 AM
They are good for your tank and with good water conditions will start to multipy. I found a few babies in my tank the other day. They are good algae eaters.

trae
01/03/2010, 10:10 AM
Free algae eater

CoralBeautyII
01/03/2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks everybody :)
I looked up Stomatella and yep thats him
glad to hear hes good, he still gives me the willies though lol

sharky334
01/03/2010, 10:29 AM
Send some my way, I am battling algae! Hope you don't find any other surprises, unless they are good ones!

CoralBeautyII
01/03/2010, 11:07 AM
Send some my way, I am battling algae! Hope you don't find any other surprises, unless they are good ones!

you can have him...way too creepy for me :lol:
he moved quick for a snail, thats why i thought he must be bad..only the bad ones move fast right? lol
in my journy this morning i also managed to pluck out a pyramid snail, ive been battling them for years and just when i think i got them all another one pops up :(
i was happy to see my keyhole limpet, ive had him for about 5 years now, he has been in a few different tanks over the years but i can go months before seeing him, so he was a nice surprise :)
not a very good pic of him, he looks like a frilly skunk on his good days

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/ewyourpoor/0116-3.jpg