PDA

View Full Version : How much should I list my tank for sell on craiglist

joeparrish
01/03/2010, 12:53 PM
I am wanting to sell my nano-cube 24 gal on craigslist. What should I price this for to be fair to people.

It is a 24 gal nano-cube the hood has built in power compact lights and the sump is built in the back of the tank.

oh ya has a stand too

Seamus1
01/03/2010, 01:10 PM
General rule of thumb (down here anyway) is 50 cents on the dollar. Expect anyone buying on Craigslist to try to knock you down $25-$50 dollars. Also expect a half dozen clowns to offer you $75 for the setup...

theyammieguy
01/03/2010, 01:47 PM
Is it fully stocked?
You can get a brand new one with stand for $300.

Playa-1
01/03/2010, 02:50 PM
You can list it for what ever you think somebody will pay for it. I don't think it's a matter of you being fair to the people, it's more a matter of what the market is for used equipment. I suspect that you will be lucky to get 50 cents on the dollar if it's in good condition. I would likely list if for about 60% of it's new retail value and see if I got any bites.

Little Lucy 27
01/03/2010, 03:12 PM
I am the Craigslist queen! So here's my advice...search CL first to see what your competition is and how many are listed for sale at the time. I have found (I have sold quite a few tanks) that you have to set your price and stick to it for a while because if there are many at the time listed it is a war of pricing...if there aren't many then you are more likely to get your price (or close anyway) also there are a LOT of flakes that probably mean well but waste your time..try to post EVERYTHING there is to know about what you are selling in the ad so as not to be spending a lot of time answering e-mails to people that don't end up panning out as it wasn't what they were looking for. Pics are worth a thousand words.Dimensions are important. Usually I have it sold to the person before they ever come to my house...meaning they know what they are coming to see (pictures descriptions etc) that way I don't get a lot of tire kickers.....It's hard to say what it is worth without knowing all that is included and seeing pics...good luck!

trb
01/03/2010, 03:31 PM
That is good advice Lucy. I usually price my things a little bit less than the "competition" after I have researched on there. It seems like some people think their stuff is gold! If it is in like new condition, then usually I price it like Seamus1 said, about 50 cents on the dollar or a bit less. I usually sell it to one of the first 2 or 3 people that reply by providing enough info and pics. They realize it is a good deal. Occasionally I've put together tanks from misc parts I've acquired and even sold them for a small profit!

Good luck on it!

Playa-1
01/03/2010, 04:01 PM
Well also keep in mind that the person that is going to buy that tank is likely a noob to the hobby and may not be aware of the poor resale value of the equipment. They have likely shopped new equipment and decided to take a quick look at CL to see what pops up. I would wait until no one else is listing a similar tank in the area before listing it.

goodtimes
01/04/2010, 06:09 AM
Fwiw, I sold the same thing for $120 last year.

one4gatr
01/04/2010, 08:05 AM
Alot of good advice from the posts above... I am also a craigslist junkie... one thing to also consider is how long you want to mess with selling it... I would set my bottom line (i.e. $125) and list it 10-20% over that so you can give the buyer a "deal". As others have mentioned you need to consider anything above and beyond the tank you are selling as well. I have been looking for a nano just for kicks to add a 2nd tank. Most people around my area are trying to get 75% of retail. The ones I have seen moving quickly are going for 50-75% OFF retail for tank and stand only. So hopefully that will give you some perspective. Good luck with your sale.

sedor
01/04/2010, 08:11 AM
I would think you could probably get $100 for it. I would probably list it for $125 and assume your going to be coming down. If I remember correctly a while back I sold a 14G Biocube in good but not excellent condition for $75.

DC_40gallon
01/04/2010, 10:20 AM
Very true, I buy 29 gallon full setups for $65-75 and take what I need and sell the rest in parts.

In this hobby the only way you can get back anything close to what you spent is on growing frags and then fragging your original frags. You can make some dough there!

Equipment speaking, your going to kick yourself when you sell it if you bought it new. The only thing I've ever bought new was my skimmer and the main tank itself (couldn't find a 40 breeder for a few months so I got it on sale for $89).

I agree $125 is the tops I would ever pay and it would need to have some special reasons to pay that (such as only used a month or has new bulbs and looks new and/or your throwing in some cured live rock).

Your best bet is to turn it into a nano softie reef. Frag tank is out since it doesn't have the lighting for SPS or acros.

Juruense
01/04/2010, 11:38 AM
I would say OP in excellent condition it would be worth $75-125.