PDA

View Full Version : Time to replace micron sediment filter- .5 or 1?

rkb
01/03/2010, 01:46 PM
I have a Kent Marine 35gpd Hi-S Maxxima RODI unit. I have run approx 300 gallons through it and the sediment pre filter has a nasty yellow/brown color to it. I'm unsure it it is time to change, especially as the amount of water processed is fairly low, but perhaps my city water is simply nasty.

What do you all use to test the decline in cartridge life- a TDS meter? And my unit came with both a one micron sediment filter and a one micron carbon filter, should I consider moving to a .5 micron on both of these.

peace
R

Fishbulb2
01/03/2010, 02:35 PM
For the sediment filter, you need a pressure gauge to monitor performance. The goal is to use the finest filter you can but still have enough pressure at your RO membrane. So if you can maintain at least 65+ psi with a .5 micron filter, then use that. Otherwise, go with a slightly larger one like the 1 micron. If you go with the one micron, then the downstream .5 micron carbon blocks will act a little as particle filters, since they are usually in the .5 micron range. Regardless, this isn't that huge a deal unless you can't maintain pressure.

FB