PDA

View Full Version : Lighting questions

freeswimmingfis
01/03/2010, 07:22 PM
I just set up my 90g. I put in about 150lbs of live rock and about 50lbs of live sand all from someone elses tank. I have everything for the tank but lights. I have my sump/fuge, a PM Bullet 2 skimmer, pumps and powerheads. The rock and sand was such a good deal I could not pass it up.

I filled the tank with about 45 gals of water from his tank and the rest was new water I mixed.

So, I need lights. I was looking at these:
http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1824
Are there any opinions? For the price I think they are ok. I can/will change the lamps when the need comes up, but since I only have a few mushrooms and about a dozen or so zoas I was wondering if these are decent. Is the ballast good?
I would be ordering these in the next weeks, so I need to know if there is another option for about the same price that I have missed.

Thanks,
Joe

freeswimmingfis
01/04/2010, 09:07 AM
Anybody have this kit or know anything about them?

zachfishman
01/04/2010, 11:01 AM
I don't know anything about that particular kit, but haven't had any bad luck with Hellolights.com. Four HO T5s will give your shrooms and zoos plenty of light (though the zoas' colors might benefit from being higher up in the tank).

freeswimmingfis
01/04/2010, 01:08 PM
This would be a starter kit. I would add 2 or 4 more lamps later when ready (as I add more coral).
I know Hellolights has a decent reputation. I think I am going to order it. I just hope it works as advertised.

I don't know anything about that particular kit, but haven't had any bad luck with Hellolights.com. Four HO T5s will give your shrooms and zoos plenty of light (though the zoas' colors might benefit from being higher up in the tank).