PDA

View Full Version : Feeding schedules?

Wippit
01/03/2010, 09:47 PM
Here's a question that's really been bugging me.

When I read the "wish books" on fish and inverts I often see that the animal should be fed some specific diet 2-3 times a day. I have to wonder if I would be able to perform such a routine and if I'd want to do that every day, year in and year out.

Is this accurate? Does the average fish or invert need to eat that often? (I realize that there are some that will need more than average care, but for the sake of the question assume the more common "newbie suitable" animals.)

210reefer
01/03/2010, 09:51 PM
I used to do that, but it gets to be a bit restraining. I switched to 1 feeding a day a few years ago and do not have any issues. I have a powder blue tang, a kole tang, a regal tang, a coral beauty angel, a picasso trigger, moorish idol and a pair of perc clowns and no issues at all.

bertoni
01/03/2010, 09:59 PM
Some fish do better with more frequent feeding. Most don't require that, and if the tank has a refugium, that can provide a constant source of food. We might be able to help more once you've narrowed down your picks.

sedor
01/03/2010, 10:03 PM
The fish that are typically considered "grazers" as in angels, tangs etc that spend a majority of their time picking at the rockwork looking for food are generally those that require a constant food source. In most cases this can be accomplished as bertoni said, by a refugium, or for tangs by using Nori on a clip.